Learning to TIG Weld? Having Trouble Feeding Wire? Check This Out!

That was an interesting video. The definition I know for "Cold Welding" is a process in which immense pressure is used to bond two base metals together. He touches in that as well in the middle of the vid somewhere.

I often wondered if one could cold weld with a typical H frame shop press?

Anther thought- I may go ahead and make my own TIG pen.
Robert

You kids, with all your fancy computer-controlled real-time amperage settings and knobs all over your welders (when I was a kid, the welders had one knob and one switch, that's it!), looking through super rainbow-vision visors that "darken" to full-color automatically... If you need all that fancy technological help to weld, no wonder you need a special finger-operated pen to feed your finger-operated sticks of filler rod!
:face slap:

You kids, with all your fancy computer-controlled real-time amperage settings and knobs all over your welders (when I was a kid, the welders had one knob and one switch, that's it!), looking through super rainbow-vision visors that "darken" to full-color automatically... If you need all that fancy technological help to weld, no wonder you need a special finger-operated pen to feed your finger-operated sticks of filler rod!
:face slap:
We don't need it, we just have more options now than you did. ;)

Haha, I remember in welding school, every booth was set up with a CC/CV inverter from Miller, except one that had an old Lincoln Ideal-Arc 250 with the big crank on the front. Guess which one I went for! The old school-ness of that welder really intrigued me. No computer chips or digital readouts, just a big ass transformer with a movable iron core. We set it up with a water cooled TIG torch using an aquarium pump and 5 gallon bucket. I use that set up to this day on my personal welder. The only negative was that it didn't have the add-on high frequency unit.

Back