Leave pressure in my compressor tank, or drain it every time I shut it off?

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been thinking (yeah I know that's something a man shouldn't do) but for many years now I've been closing the air valve and leaving pressure in the tank. My idea is that it saves wear and tear on my pump and motor, and saves electricity. and I don't have to wait for the pressure to build up before I start working.

So opinions? Leave pressure in the tank, or drain it down every time? I do have a automatic drain valve set to 15 minutes on my compressor.

Leave it pressurized, especially since you have an automatic drain valve (which I should get). I can't think of any advantage to letting the air out after each use. My IR 60-gal has spent all but a few days out of the last 20-ish years pressurized.

GsT

You paid electricity and wear and tear to get that genie compressed into the bottle, leave it in there until you need to call on it's power.

My system is holding air for now... it's nice to always have it ready to go for a quick whatever.

I think it sounds like keeping your car battery discharged until you want to use it, then charging it up so you can start it.

As I said I have an auto drain that's only on when the compressor is running. I have a ball valve that shuts off the air line I turn off when I'm I'm done with using it.
I think it sounds like keeping your car battery discharged until you want to use it, then charging it up so you can start it.
You mean liike my nova and trailblazer SS? :p

I would concur with leaving the the compressor pressurized so long as the power supply is disconnected in the off time

I do both. Not intentionally but i use so little air it usually bleeds down between uses. Over the years I’ve tried to track it down but the leak is so slow it doesn’t show up easily and I’m too lazy to spend hours or days to find it

The compressor is a Kellogg American two stage unit built in 1965. It still comes to pressure fine and restarts at the proper low pressure setting. I do have a rebuild kit or it should the time ever come when it needs it.

If you use the compressor every day, then leave it pressurized; however, I’d run a manual cycle on the drain valve when you shutdown.

If you only use the compressor occasionally, then it may make sense to bleed it down.

Back