Leave pressure in my compressor tank, or drain it every time I shut it off?

I don't think anyone is advocating bleeding down the compressor. We're just saying it happens over time and it's not worth spending the time to figure out why when it takes weeks or months to drain the tank. It's easier to just start it up when it's needed and wait for it to come up to pressure.

My auto drain comes on for 15 seconds when I power on the compressor, then every 15 minutes. I turn the breaker off to the computer when I'm done using it.

I don’t use mine a lot, so I drain it after use.

Gets the condensed water out of the bottom of the tank.

If I’m planning to use it for a few days straight, I’ll leave it pressurized.

I leave mine full for weeks at a time. Drain the water periodically but leave it full and powered off.

Last edited:
If your having system leak down, and it's not the pump, just put a ball valve at the tank discharge and close it when not in use. The only time I drain the tanks is when I need to work on a pump. Mike

In pressurized boilers the pressure keeps the oxygen away from the iron so it won't rust. I would have to think
the same would apply to a pressure tank. Thanks for reminding me I need to drain the water from my air tank
today.:encourage:

In pressurized boilers the pressure keeps the oxygen away from the iron so it won't rust. I would have to think
the same would apply to a pressure tank. Thanks for reminding me I need to drain the water from my air tank
today.:encourage:
I think Cathead has it right.

Oxidation of steel (rusting) is an electrochemical process that requires the presence of oxygen and the presence of an electrolyte. At higher pressures the partial pressure ("concentration") of oxygen increases and accelerates the process. And water acts as the electrolyte. That electrolyte is especially effective if more chloride is present, like happens in coastal areas with highly humid ("salty") air.

So like has been said it's best to drain the tank, and in theory, to depressurize it. But all this talk is theory. One would have to go through the calculations to quantify all of it.

I think Cathead has it right.

Oxidation of steel (rusting) is an electrochemical process that requires the presence of oxygen and the presence of an electrolyte. At higher pressures the partial pressure ("concentration") of oxygen increases and accelerates the process. And water acts as the electrolyte. That electrolyte is especially effective if more chloride is present, like happens in coastal areas with highly humid ("salty") air.

So like has been said it's best to drain the tank, and in theory, to depressurize it. But all this talk is theory. One would have to go through the calculations to quantify all of it.
Sorry, I'm just a bit confused which isn't too difficult...LOL. It seems what you are saying is opposite of what Cathead said?

Cheers,

Joe

Back