Left Handed Lathe

Harry Knutz

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I often wondered, But had never seen a left handed lathe before, Here is a pic of an Enco Lathe that is left handed. I can't imagine ever getting used to that.
1683133166843.png

This comes up every few years..... and the usual answer is that someone flipped the photo.

With this one I cannot zoom in enough to try reading the labels on things, but I suspect it is the same thing.....

Brian

You beat me to it. Now the CNCs in the background are right handed, too.

Nardini made their carriages in a right and left hand version, swapping the positions of the feed controls and the long travel handwheel on the skirt. I didn't know it would be a preference, let alone a factory option.

Some of the Harrisons and Colchesters are like that too, handwheel is on the opposite end of the apron. I've heard it referred to as a UK preference but I don't know if that's true or not.

We have 2 Clausing Colchesters at work, 1-15" and 1-17", one, I think the 15", is LH. The carriage controls are different.

Last edited:
The right hand handwheel is quite common on European machines, especially if they have gap beds, I guess it makes sense so far as getting your hand burnt or cut by chips, If you were raised with one, I guess it would feel natural, but if not it would take a lot of getting used to and feel clumsy at best.

Back