Left Handed Lathe

Left here too, and yes scissors are tough, tin snips, you name it.

The right hand handwheel is quite common on European machines, especially if they have gap beds, I guess it makes sense so far as getting your hand burnt or cut by chips, If you were raised with one, I guess it would feel natural, but if not it would take a lot of getting used to and feel clumsy at best.
This makes sense, our 15" is a gap bed.

We had a " big bore " Webb at AAI with the controls reversed . Turned Howitzer barrels on the thing . Cool lathe with the hydraulic tracer on it . :encourage:

When one is left handed a person learns very quickly to adapt to the ways of the world. :encourage:
When my son was young, If he stuck out his left hand, I made him give me his right hand, It's a right handed world and I figured I was doing him a favor. My Dad was left handed, And watching him write was painful to watch.

When my son was young, If he stuck out his left hand, I made him give me his right hand, It's a right handed world and I figured I was doing him a favor. My Dad was left handed, And watching him write was painful to watch.

My great grandmother, who was born into Czarist Russian aristocracy, did that to my Dad as a kid. Whenever he'd do anything with his left, as he was inclined to do, she'd slap his hand away until he reached with his right. Dad became right handed, but some key things were always backwards, like wearing his watch on the right.

When a convention doesn't apply to 20% of the people, it's not a very good one.

Back