Legal Products/work?

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
What can I do gunsmithing wise legally without a license? Products I can make? Work I can do?

From what I've heard you can only work on you own, but can work on a firearm if the owner is right there and it's not left overnight. And then I think you are limited on what you can do. There is a lot of grey area here. Best thing to do is talk to a gunsmith or ATF, but the ATF May not give you the right answer.

Bob

It really depends on what you are doing and how often you are doing gunsmith work.

It also depends on if it is your primary source of income or an occasional "side-work"

https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/pdf-files/0813-firearms-top-12-qas.pdf

"Licensing Requirements (Dealer/Manufacturer/Importer/Exporter):

10. At what point should I obtain a Federal firearms license (FFL)? How do I obtain a FFL?
Federal law requires a Federal firearms license if you are engaged in the business as a firearms dealer, manufacturer or importer. A person is engaged in those businesses, as it applies to each license type, as follows:
4. Dealer in firearms (gunsmith) -- a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to engaging in such activity as a regular course of trade
or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional repairs of
firearms, or who occasionally fits special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms (18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(21)(D)); "

See full page for top FAQ to ATF.....

Charlie,

People ask me all the time to make accessories or do firearms repairs. The answer is no. I only work on mine and my son's firearms as I really don't want to deal with a low profit, high liability issue.

With a few exceptions, I stay away from most forms of anything with obvious liability. A fellow wanted me to make an aluminum platform atop his truck to enable his employees to use it as a standing platform. -Nope. Someone falls and the lawyers will be after me. That said, I have made boat lifts for commercial use but, it was for a trusted friend's company and, the trusted friend has a Master's degree in mechanical engineering, is a certified steam pipe welder -and he helped construct it. I've also made and heat treated some parts for him that were critical use but, this one guy is an exception (a life-long and trusted friend).

If you have any truck repair places nearby, check with them. I pick-up work making brackets to retro-fit various engine attachment components. Low liability, decent profit. I also have a nearby place that makes all kinds of van/truck conversion equipment. Same thing, lots of brackets and general fixtures... Low liability, decent profit.

Ray

Ray you hit this right on the money. What can a turkey do that a gunsmith can't? ...... Feed a family of four.
I work part time for a large company in the firearms business and I get told by students all the time. " I want to buy a lathe and do gunsmithing at home as a side job." No matter how good of a machinist or a gunsmith you are, a majority (not all of course) of your friends and buds are expecting a "good deal" or a "freebie" from you. As soon as people learn you do side work they will bring you rusted up so called precious family heirlooms by the dozens and you will spend 40 hours to make a hundred bucks fixing up a 50 dollar gun.
I do have a few friends that run successful gunsmith businesses, but they run it "as a business" and also charge their friends like anyone else. If the job is not profitable they just don't take it. I have never made a dime at it and always thought the ATF rule about making a profit was kind of ironic since you would need to go "all in" to make a profit anyway. Just my opinion and observations.
Charlie,

People ask me all the time to make accessories or do firearms repairs. The answer is no. I only work on mine and my son's firearms as I really don't want to deal with a low profit, high liability issue.

Ray

I'm not looking to be a gunsmith I'm just wondering What kind of work I can do if requested without getting in trouble

I'm not looking to be a gunsmith I'm just wondering What kind of work I can do if requested without getting in trouble

Sorry Charley, I know what you were asking, but I just couldn't help but wondering off course just a little there.

It's my understanding that one cannot work on a gun for profit, without a FFL.

You can work on your own guns or friend's as a favor, but not for money.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/gunsmiths.html
This is the right answer. You can get into a lot of hot water doing any kind of gun work without an FFL. There are some grey areas but i wouldn't even touch those with a 10 ft pole. My 2 cents.

i have a gunsmith friend. It is very surprising the absolute junk guns people will bring in to be repaired. One guy had a formerly new Winchester 94 that would have been o.k.,except he somehow let it get crusty rust on the barrel while in storage. What are you going to do with a piece like that? Not worth even taking apart,let alone sanding the deep rust off and re bluing. Why are people so stupid?

One gunsmith I knew had guys bring in loaded guns all the time and not mention it.

Back