Legal Products/work?

... Why are people so stupid?

One gunsmith I knew had guys bring in loaded guns all the time and not mention it.

THAT is the 64 thousand dollar question right there! They seem to be getting worse as well.

Charlie,

There are a number of things you could make for firearms without having an FFL (I'm "almost" 100% sure but double check to be safe.) Things like bipods, "shooting sticks", flash suppressors, all kinds of "mounting hardware" for ARs and other guns, sights, scope mounts, etc., etc. Basically anything that does not have to do with the function of the gun itself. It may even be possible to make actual gun parts, triggers, firing pins, and on and on but I'd definitely check the ATF regs on that.

Oh, another thought, "fabricating steel targets". There is a market out there for the "cowboy shooters" as well as the long range guys for steel targets.

Hope that helps,

-Ron

I would be careful in the products that you make.. ATF likes to push the manufacturers license. I agree that if you are going to work on guns not your own, it may save some heartburn if you get a FFL. A friend was doing some repairs without a FFL and an agent showed up at his door and strongly suggested he obtain a license.

Ray you hit this right on the money. What can a turkey do that a gunsmith can't? ...... Feed a family of four.
I work part time for a large company in the firearms business and I get told by students all the time. " I want to buy a lathe and do gunsmithing at home as a side job." No matter how good of a machinist or a gunsmith you are, a majority (not all of course) of your friends and buds are expecting a "good deal" or a "freebie" from you. As soon as people learn you do side work they will bring you rusted up so called precious family heirlooms by the dozens and you will spend 40 hours to make a hundred bucks fixing up a 50 dollar gun.
I do have a few friends that run successful gunsmith businesses, but they run it "as a business" and also charge their friends like anyone else. If the job is not profitable they just don't take it. I have never made a dime at it and always thought the ATF rule about making a profit was kind of ironic since you would need to go "all in" to make a profit anyway. Just my opinion and observations.

Wow, you have hit the nail on the head. You can't drill and tap an $80 22 long rifle for $40 and make money.

Don't take any receivers into your care! You can do anything to a gun parts as long as you don't handle the receiver. If a customer can figure out how to detach the part from the receiver they are probably smart enough to understand the legal situation, and the reality of the time you need to be reimbursed for. If they are not that smart then you don't want to deal with them.

If you don't know what part is the receiver you are not ready for gun work.

I don't say this to anyone in particular, not trying to ruffle feathers, it is just the basic look in the mirror test.

Back