Let there be slots!

OKAY YAWL I'M GETTING READY TO HOOK UP THE WIRES TO THE RECEPTACLE SO WHICH IS IT? tOP OR bottom LEFT.OR rIGHT?

BTW I called the Guvner and he said The only rule in Texas is NO RULES. So, I asked him about Texas Laws, and he said the only Laws in Texas are OUTLAWS.

In my shop I do quads (or more) with one each way, so if I have wall-warts or weird cords I can accommodate them

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

I thought that the U ground is supposed to go on the bottom of the receptacle.
Most right angle plugs have the prongs oriented with the ground down so the cord drops downwards. However, decades ago I was told to place the ground up so that anything that fell between the plug & receptacle would hit the ground pin first and short directly to ground rather than through the neutral bus.

I've always put the ground down. Realistically it doesn't much matter, but you might consider a small shield at the top of the box. Mike

For residential use, ground down, you naturally angle the plug upwards, the ground goes in first.

In hospitals the ground is up, if something like a cord or other item falls on a partially inserted plug, the ground deflects it.

In our shop, grounds are up, the cords with built in angled plugs are upside down, but safer with grounds up.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

In my house, I originally installed all the plugs with the ground-up. As I added on to the house I switched to ground-down. Two main reasons.
1. some plugs are designed with the cord coming out the side for a low profile look. These did not work well at all for Ground-up installations
2. I noticed that with heaver cords (12ga and 14ga) that the plugs were more likely to work their way loose do to the weight of the cord with a Ground-up installation.

Overall somewhat minor concerns and in no cases was it worth going in the change plugs that have been previously installed Ground-up.

Well my motive for posting this was to feed my ego by posting my absolutely brilliant idea. Fully expecting many oohs and aahs and atta-boy's for such a creation. So now here I sit waiting for the coffee maker to finish so I can drown myself in self-pity. Asking why me? Why me?

Back