Let there be slots!

There is no code concerning the orientation of an electrical outlet. It has become traditional for the ground to be on the bottom or on a horizontal position the ground is on the left. Some electricians will install the outlet ground up if the outlet is connected to a switch. That way the homeowner will know which outlet is connected to a switch.

In my last and current house, all the switched outlets were mounted upside down (ground up). I assume it is intentional and makes finding said outlets easy.

In my last and current house, all the switched outlets were mounted upside down (ground up). I assume it is intentional and makes finding said outlets easy.
The electrician we used at the dealership always mounted the outlets with the ground up.
I asked him why one day, he said if anything were to get in there no fireworks would occur.
A common practice I guess

Ground up is the norm . A plug loosened from the receptable makes for great fun if a piece of sheet metal would happen to slide down onto it . I learned first hand years ago .

Yes, sir it is 3 conductor and I always make sure the ground is connected. Even on the antique machines I restore that did not originally have grounds. Most everything now days is plastic so they come with 2 prong plugs but regardless of what the market does I will have a good ground. Thanks for making it a point to use the ground.
Understood and duly noted!

Ground up is the norm . A plug loosened from the receptable makes for great fun if a piece of sheet metal would happen to slide down onto it . I learned first hand years ago .

I would think this should be standard practice, after my common sense makes sense to me. But in real world, outlets are common with the ground down, if the installers are paying attention.

I just looked at two outlets in my work, and one is up, one down. The one that is up, has a water cooler plugged into it. The plug is a three prong, flat type plug, so the wire coming out is pointed up, causing the wire to curve down, then back up to the cooler. In this case, it would be better to have the outlet rotated so less strain on the plug wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I changed some wiring in my shop to ground up, and found it difficult to work with at times. Some cords are just not friendly ground up. A/C cords are made for ground up ... I changed it back to ground down anywhere where it was not going to be a problem.

Most remote control boxes are ground down. I use them for vacs and stuff.

Back