Lets See Your Shop!

Hi Hobby Machinists...here is a link to my YouTube vid I made of my shop and me about a year ago. Sorry no photos:
[video=youtube;eV4-RZOPKBw] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV4-RZOPKBw [/video]

I will not sign any autographs until after the video...ha ha!

Last edited by a moderator:
Working on Itty Bitty Basement Shop

Because there is so little room, I have to build in all the shelves into the framing, using 2x6's instead of 2x4's to give more depth. I use the old treads to the old basement stairway (replaced) for reinforcing the shelves. Made the shelves large enough to put two Kennedy's in.

DSC04190.gif DSC04191.gif DSC04193.gif

Attachments

• DSC04189.gif
    DSC04189.gif
    168.3 KB · Views: 162
The table that the 2 drill presses are on was built from a Rockler steel kit with a top of glued-up 2x4s, and I am going to extend it a foot to be able to operate both presses more easily.

The empty area in the foreground will have the Van Norman #12 mill when I get it down there in parts.

Have to be super organized to get that much in a tiny space.

Nelson

C'mon guys, let's see some shops! If I can show my pathetic little space, you guys can certainly show your nice shops!

:Azn:

Nelson

One car garage, micro mill/drill, 7x10 and bench grinder on the bench(just added a buffer too), drill press and bandsaw within reach and of course motorcycles and collectible bicycle storage as well.
For some reason the far right of the picture isn't showing up, but there is an 03 Gsxr1000 hidden over there next to the St1100. Maybe I'll snap another pic when I get home today.

IMAG0039.jpg

101_0564.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0012.JPG
    DSCN0012.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 196
Well I don't know about roomy :-[ But it's nice right now since I cleaned up two weekends ago.

I'll add some more pictures tonight. I got to get some work out today.

Ken

OK lets try some pictures

Had a chance this weekend to take some shop pictures so here we go.

Could not figure out how to post pictures with text, must have been something with the old site. So here is a list for the pictures.

1. General lathe picture.
2. Saddle of the lathe. I did mod the cross slide by changing out the metric screw for a larger 5/8-10 ACME screw. I had the room for the larger screw and the standard size made the hand wheel measurements correct. The metric was always off just a bit. Also added 4 inches of travel toward center and 2 inches out.
3. Shelf with my common tool holders on it.
4. Tail stock with depth gauge for drilling.
5. Head stock with tool tray. A yard sale find. A stainless serving tray. Keeps my tools and small parts from rolling off.
6. Side tool tray mounted on a heavy monitor arm. Lets me put tools where I need them.
7. Lower tray for tools I want to keep at hand but don't need often. It is made from a keyboard slide out tray.
8. Tools in lower tray. Extra points for live center, inside jaws for 3 jaw chuck, extra tapper sleeves, mounted dial indicators, ball baring tool, scissor knurling tool, threading tool, and large boring bar.

Jeff

100_6605.jpg 100_6606.jpg 100_6607.jpg 100_6608.jpg 100_6609.JPG 100_6610.jpg 100_6611.jpg 100_6612.JPG

Last edited:
Second picture set

Ok here is my mill.

1. Overview shot.

2. Air powered draw bar. I didn't order the plans for these just watched the videos of them on Youtube and figured it out. Was an easy project for about $100.00. I know I took the belt shield off the top, it was the only way to get the drawbar on there. I am the only one using the machine so if I stick my hand in it its my own dumb fault.
3. Another shot of the drawbar.
4. Quill feed gauge. Also changed out the quill stop. I made a new one that gave the mill another inch of quill feed and looked better. This one is out of stainless.
5. Added a Bridgeport style quill handle. I love this mod.
6. Added power feed. This is a scrap metal yard find. Had to replace a few parts but total cost was about $25.00.
7. Drawer of collets. R8, C5, ER25, and end mill holders.
8. Hold downs, parallels, Vblocks, 1-2-3 blocks etc...
9. Assorted end mills.

Jeff

Thanks DaveH for the encouragement. I am trying to get in the habit of posting but its not easy.

100_6613.jpg 100_6614.JPG 100_6615.jpg 100_6616.jpg 100_6617.JPG 100_6618.jpg 100_6619.jpg 100_6620.jpg 100_6621.jpg

Back