Lets See Your Shop!

Since I retired, I told my wife that my shop is my work now. The main difference (beyond not having to commute in traffic) is now I only work as long as I feel like doing. Retirement would be boring if I didn't have my shop.

A couple of shots of my home shop. It's a small space (~200 sq. ft.), and it's definitely a "multimedia" shop (metal, plastics, wood) and it's currently my home office, so there's a corner full of computers as well.

When we bought the place, it was carpeted, and the previous owners' cats apparently used the whole room as a litter box:
workshop_before.jpg

Lots of demolition, several gallons of Kills, a new linoleum floor, and a lot of work later:
workshop_after.jpg

Most relevant part of the shop: my Sherline machines, on custom-built oak & steel bases:
machines-1.jpg
machines-2.jpg
machines-3.jpg

i wish i had this shop....
Ulma,

Absolutely orgasmic, The wife could clean all the swarf out of the back seat One thing nobody would want a lift in the car with the smell of cutting oil I wonder how the salesman for Niles ,Bement, Pond, got on trundling his huge sales sample around prospective clients?

My 10' x 15' Chicom shop. I say Chicom because just about everything in it is from China. Without these cheap imports I'd never be able to enjoy the machining hobby. I could not afford to buy "American"! Gotta take some pics this morning. I was breaking off tap in my work and pretending to be a machinist!!! Here's pics from 4 corners.

View attachment 122245 View attachment 122246 View attachment 122247 View attachment 122248
Well you have to do what you can. Ive got a few of them machines that the Chinese children have put together also. But even if I buy from American companies it is still made in the same place unless you by OLD American Iron, Ive got a BP and a Atlas Lathe still working on putting it all together. Nice shop make chips

Sketch of what the new shop/RV garage will look like when done.
2jg0ajm.jpg

I tried loading more pictures but for some reason they didn't take.

Building will be 50'x60'x16' divided into a 20'x50' RV storage bay and a 40'x50' shop section.

Mike.

Looks great Mike, just a little on the small side.

Welcome back to the club.

Looks great Mike, just a little on the small side.

Welcome back to the club.

Thanks Randy.

Funny story. About a month or so ago when they had just dug the hole and poured the footings I was standing on the back deck of the house looking at the hole in the back yard when my wife came home from work. She came out to look at the progress and I had mentioned I sure hope it was large enough. I was not being a smart ass, I was genuinely concerned that it wasn't going to be large enough because it didn't look any larger than what I had left. I thought she was going to throw my butt in the hole and bury me there. Now that the floor is complete it is starting to look a little better in size.

Thanks again.

Mike.

Back