Lets See Your Shop!

Just went through fiona so my garages are packed to the rim with cars, trucks, yard stuff, etc in and around my machine tools.

A pic right now would probably look like an extreme hoarder’s home…lol!

Excellent organization, ChazzC! I need to start numbering my aisles. :)

Just went through fiona so my garages are packed to the rim with cars, trucks, yard stuff, etc in and around my machine tools.

A pic right now would probably look like an extreme hoarder’s home…lol!
Hope you and yours are doing ok. It looked horrendous on the news.

Hope you and yours are doing ok. It looked horrendous on the news.
We were lucky. We’re in the western corner of the province and while we got lots of wind and rain, it was nothing like the eastern half of the province. We didn’t even loose power, a couple flickers, but never went out. We did loose the occasional 80 year old tree here and there, but not much damage otherwise.

The real elephant in the room is hurricane season has barely begun and we’re already to the “I” for naming storms. Not to mention, Fiona was the largest storm to hit Atlantic Canada to date. Gawd knows what the rest of this season will bring…gotta love climate change.

My Small Shop

I thought I'd give folks an idea of what a small shop looks like – 290 SF may sound OK, but as you can see, almost 200 SF is dedicated to utilities, storage & walkways, so there is only a little more than 90 SF of actual work & machine space. I do have my 2" x 42" & 4" x 36" belt sanders in the garage, but on a mobile cart so they only take up 6 SF. You can click on the layout & photos to see them larger:

View attachment 421563

Photos (from the labelled viewpoints on the floor plan):

Aisle 1
View attachment 421564

Small Repair Work Desk
View attachment 421565

Mini Lathe Bench
View attachment 421566

Mini Mill
View attachment 421567

Electronics & Vise Bench
View attachment 421568

Band Saws
View attachment 421569

Vacuum Cart
View attachment 421570

Arbor Presses, Model Tools & Hardware
View attachment 421571

Surface Plate
View attachment 421572

Aisle 2; I could have skipped this one, but it completes the circle and gives you an idea of how tight things are (and another reason I lost weight last year)
View attachment 421573

That’s a nicely kitted out and well organised workshop. Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent organization, ChazzC! I need to start numbering my aisles. :)
Thanks! I have drawers labeled, but was done two years ago (shutdown project) and things have moved: maybe I should just number the drawers and make a spreadsheet inventory?

Thanks! I have drawers labeled, but was done two years ago (shutdown project) and things have moved: maybe I should just number the drawers and make a spreadsheet inventory?

For steel drawer fronts, I put labels on magnetic strips. It wouldn't work well in an industrial environment (too many jokesters), but it works well in my shop.

The spreadsheet idea is very good because it would make it easy to document as much detail as you like about your collection.

Last edited:
For steel drawer fronts, I put labels on magnetic strips. It wouldn't work well in an industrial environment (too many jokesters), but it works well in my shop.

The spreadsheet idea is very good because it would make it easy to document as much detail as you like about your collection.
I’ve considered that, but I’d still be changing the labels. Since I have a shop laptop and keep documents in the Cloud, I think spreadsheet/database is the way to go.

Started with spreadsheet, then built database, much better but still have not imported the 1500 items on the sheet.

Database makes for good printing of labels, need to generate the report to sort and layout the label and correct printer.

You add 2 checkbooks to the inventory item record.

Label used tells it you MAY need a label.

Label needed tells it to print the label.

We have many different types of boxes and bins which take different sizes.

Different report for each and box type another field.

Pain to setup and get working but once done labels are just a button click or 2.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back