Leveling foot pads for my lathe?

Defender92

Registered
Registered
Probably a dumb question…

11E9BE60-8239-404F-A5E6-1E7933636FDB.jpeg

4982505C-8C36-4F5B-8649-EBBDAC6E502B.jpeg

I just got around to leveling my Clausing 13” lathe. Bought a Starrett level and big wrench. Then I noticed my leveling “feet” are just rounded bolt ends. I don’t want that digging into my garage floor.

3F5C1ADF-3D9C-4043-BE15-D34D6396DCAB.jpeg

After some googling and eBaying I found these leveling pads.

Is it possible I could just turn some stainless steel bar and add a little divot for the bolts? Or is there something special about these machine foot pads?

Yes, you can turn stainless, or normal steel disks, and add a divot for the bolts. The only thing special about those pads, is that they are good at lightening your wallet. Seriously, just make them. I mean, you have a lathe, why not?

No need for stainless, carbon steel or cast iron would be fine, yes, as drill point divot works well, I put a piece of tarpaper under the foot to conform to the concrete and prevent walking around with vibration.
I was thinking stainless steel to avoid rust

Anything would be fine. If you have scrap stainless, it wouldn't hurt, but it isn't necessary unless you have a damp, soggy floor. But if you had a damp soggy floor, it really isn't a good spot for your machines...

I would use carbon steel. If you're worried about rust, paint them before you put them on your floor.

303 stainless machines easily as does 416 stainless
but, just about any material is sufficient- even aluminum or delrin would be fine

Back