Lift Kit For The Lathe

bpimm

Active User
Registered
I asked this question in the Jet specific forum but think it would do better here. My back doesn't allow me to bend over much and I want to raise the lathe up about 10" to put it at a comfortable standing height. Has anyone done something like this and how did you do it? I will be setting the lathe up in a temporary location, temporary could be a couple years, so a permanent set up isn't called for yet... I think for the permanent solution I want to pour a raised concrete pad for it to sit on with anchors cast in to bolt it down to.

Maybe that would be the best temporary solution as well if I put some plastic down so the slab could be removed later.

any thoughts?

Oh it's a JET URPE 1440 that weighs in at 2500 Lbs.

Thanks
Brian

I used to have an 11" South Bend that I put on poured pads and it work great, when I replaced the South Bend I removed the pads by prying them up off of the floor which was painted.

I use an adjustable stool for just that reason.

I used to have an 11" South Bend that I put on poured pads and it work great, when I replaced the South Bend I removed the pads by prying them up off of the floor which was painted.

did you have a pad for each foot? Guess I could do 1 for each end.

Take a black pipe & weld a flat on it to sit up in that slot & get bolted on the sides. Then weld a nut in the other end for adjusters. Make good welds. It would suck if that landed on your foot. Or pour the concrete you mentioned.

Block it up 10" so that it won't fall off of the blocks, use some sense and buy or build said devices. Short drops of 10 X 10 steel tube or 10" I-beam would be my first choice. If drops are unavailable build a frame of 2 X 1/4 steel angle .

This is not a heavy tool, someone once gave me an Enco lathe of similar size which I sold in less then one hour, this is my only experience with such a machine, I had to build a stand for it as the one that it came with is was kept as a workbench.

I realize that hobbyists like to do things "by the book" and "right" it is likely that it need not be bolted to the floor and never was. Do not however go cheap and have it fall on your toes.

Back