Lift Kit For The Lathe

Short drops of 10 X 10 steel tube or 10" I-beam would be my first choice. If drops are unavailable build a frame of 2 X 1/4 steel angle .
Personally I like WreckWreck's ideas.

Is that foot bar on the cabinet a spindle brake?
I suppose a new bar could be made below and connected to the one above.......

There was also a thread on sitting at the lathe and a number of people that cannot stand to stand apparently do that.
http://hobby-machinist.com/threads/sitting-down-at-the-lathe.37174/

Please let us know what you come up with.

-brino

If it's temporary I would get some 10x10 blocks of wood to put it on and lag bolt to them, you can slip washers in to level, don't worry about the weight we have cribbed loaded semis with 4x4's. Other wise the I beam drops would be a set and forget solution.

I purchased a new Jet 1340BDb 16 yrs ago, and ran into the same dilemma, but I had the option of buying with or without the stand. I was very comfortable with the spindle height of my South Bend heavy 10, and wanted the Jet to be of the same spindle height. The cost of the factory stand was about $400, but it was not tall enough to suit me, so I opted to make my own. I had less than $100 in steel, and made it with a back splash. I also made a chip pan on drawer slides for ease of cleaning.
I don't see anything wrong with your idea of the concrete, other than I wouldn't bother with the anchors casted in......it's not going anywhere.

One reason you may want to anchor the machine is if some work breaks loose and creates a shaking situation before you get it shut off. The machine might walk a little bit.
Have a good day!
Ray

Back