light up edge finder, how do you like it?

LEEQ

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
What are your personal experiences with/opinions of the light up and or audible touch off edge finders. I see a lot of them that claim .005mm ( about.0002") repeatability. I see a couple with standard measurement i.e. .200" ends for easy math, I'm not a metric guy. I even see several versions of a usa made model on ebay for abt $50. Does anyone use these devices? I find myself tiring of fiddling with my cheap Chinese edge finder when setting up and thought this might be quicker. I'm a little gun shy on dropping the money though. Any reviews?

at El trabajo we have a Renishaw JCP, which is the 'job contact probe'. It's really quite decent but runs about $625 i think. works really great, holds .001" no problem on CNC. I think they're cream of the crop for light up job probes.
download.aspx?lang=gen&data=26678.jpg

I also tried the Fowler light up block for touching off your tool, it's shaped like a 123 block and lights up. I thought it sucked, it's trash, it mic'd .003" out when new. That was like $49 i believe.

that's all i got for ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are the JCP type, held in a collet in the quill. Not 6 bills though.

I also tried the Fowler light up block for touching off your tool, it's shaped like a 123 block and lights up. I thought it sucked, it's trash, it mic'd .003" out when new. That was like $49 i believe.

What did you think of the concept of the Fowler? Would you have preferred it had it been accurate? Would you want one that would set X and Y as well as Z?

Pretty interesting stuff there, and not just edge finders. I am looking for reviews on collet mounted electronic edge finders for a mill spindle though. Any one who can share their experiences with these tools would be great. Thanks

What did you think of the concept of the Fowler? Would you have preferred it had it been accurate? Would you want one that would set X and Y as well as Z?

the concept was good, but it performed like trash. i do like other fowler products fyi. i got a Mitutoyo presetter instead, works great, however, it's only for setting tools..... for edge finding, you need something else.:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQubv51dZS2zvHycXz8QFsaF3PBbVzLU2iBmImp9aN9Ehr-70wn.jpg

I would ask how you like the renishaw, but I would have to sell the mill to buy it:))

What are your personal experiences with/opinions of the light up and or audible touch off edge finders. I see a lot of them that claim .005mm ( about.0002") repeatability. I see a couple with standard measurement i.e. .200" ends for easy math, I'm not a metric guy. I even see several versions of a usa made model on ebay for abt $50. Does anyone use these devices? I find myself tiring of fiddling with my cheap Chinese edge finder when setting up and thought this might be quicker. I'm a little gun shy on dropping the money though. Any reviews?

I have one of the Enco 3-Dimensional Edge Finders Model #KA636-7046 that are on sale for $149.95 all the time.
Wait for the 20% off and free shipping codes.
It works as advertised.
Repeatability is claimed to be 0.0005 and the 0.200 shank diameter within 0.0002.
Using the digital readouts on my Centroid CNC system as a reference, the repeatability claims appear correct.
Throw in a bit of tool holder runout and it easily is good for 0.001.
I have an NT40 system and use a TG100 collet to hold the Sensor.
If you use cheap set screw holders, your error may double.
The LEDs start lighting up when the probe is within a few tenths and get brighter as the probe gets closer.
If you get good at interpolating the LED brightness, you can likely beat the 0.0005 repeatability.
You can actually see a tiny spark when the probe is within a tenth or two.
I like the fact that it also indicates the Z axis saving a tool change for that.
IF you are using a manual setup and R-8 tool holders, the Z axis feature will likely be of little worth.
The probe tip has about 0.1 inches of flex to it so it will not get damaged if you bump it a little.
Batteries last about a year and are easy to change.
It only works with conductive metal, plastic is a bust.
When using my Chick heavily anodized vise, I have to run a wire with a clip on each end from the work to the sensor.
Hope this helps,
Dennis

Back