light up edge finder, how do you like it?

That's just what I'm looking for, thanks.

I think that would be nice for old eyes, but I'm holding off cause I may use it times this week and then not again for three years again.
I'll stick with my old faithfulls.

I think it is entirely possible that my repeatability issues may be due in part to cheap Chinese edge finders. I lube them then wipe the outside dry before each use, or they don't work at all. If I'm going to drop $50, I might just be better off to buy name brand mechanical ones. One thing I noticed when perusing the electronic ones on ebay is:Only the usa made one from Texas has a tip that measures in thousandths, not mm. I don't want to switch back and forth! So no cheaper option for me than $50 shipped. I have kids, so dropping a fifty requires much thought, maybe a little saving too. I'm hoping more folks have these and are willing to chime in. If I wind up getting one, I'll be happy to add my two cents.

I bought one at HF for around $25, it seems to work ok. Just remember to keep it stored in a plastic container I went through the first battery very quickly. The second battery has been working for several years.

I also have a Starrett manual style and probably use it more often than the lighted one.

Paul

How do you like your fowler? Does it repeat well?

Don't know yet, didn't buy it yet. :whistle:

But I put it on my Amazon wish list and I'll get one soon, I have Prime so shipping is no issue. This thread made me think of Amazon, they have tons of tools that qualify for Prime - that's why I got it. You can often get things on Amazon cheaper than ebay.

I'll order one as soon as it shows as back in stock.

edit: I just placed the order, they don't bill till they ship anyway.

Stay tuned, I'll post a review as soon as I get it.

I have the Fowler brand that has the .200 ball tip. I had a part that I was working on this weekend & thought I would post the results.
In one picture I eased up on the part until the light came on & then zeroed out the DRO. I then bumped the Y axis until the light went out & checked the DRO & it was still on zero.
If I take my time , I can get something dead on. If I'm in a hurry I can hit it with in .0002. If I get sloppy I can get .0004 pretty easy with it. I've never checked to make sure the tool is concentric, I just assumsed that it is, but it's close enough for anything that I'm going to make.
Like someone else mentioned,it has a spring loaded tip which has saved the tool a couple of times when I went the wrong way, & also, it want work on plastic or wood. I think you would like it if you got one. Let us know if you do & what your thoughts are on it.
Phil

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I like the idea of the ball tip but I'll make do with the cylindrical one at 1/3 the price. I was planning to get a new mechanical one anyway because with my old one it's awfully hard to tell exactly when it hits the edge. Sometimes I think I can better results with a wiggler despite the pain they are to use.

The reviews for the Fowler ones on Amazon are all favorable.

I have the Fowler with .200 cylindrical tip. I mainly used to use it only when I needed to indicate a part where damaging the finish was important. But now I find myself using it most of time & I rarely use my conventional edge finders now. It's so much easier & quicker & repeatability is excellent especially for my needs. I now want to get the ball tip one as well now. I choose the cylindrical tip version first because of the lower price but mainly cause I thought it would suit my needs better. There are many times where the ball tip version wouldn't work like for shallow depths/small edges but there are times where I would have needed the ball tip so I will be getting one soon.

I prefer the light up version over the audible, some do both though. I don't work in a shop environment but it can get loud in my work area so I don't care for listening for an audible tone.

Back