Lincoln Plasma 20 Cutter Code 11578

Harris Creek Central

Active User
Registered
The unit in question belongs to my son. One of his teenage sons(my grandson) was using this unit and ignored the 40% duty cycle and just kept cutting until the machine stopped. It was taken to a repair shop and for a fee of $85.00 my son was told it was not worth repairing. This has now sat collecting dust for several years and I have taken on the project to see if I can make the necessary repairs. I have opened the unit, and there is no visible signs of any blown or burnt components. However, when I turn on the power, and apply the air pressure, I am not getting any power through to the front panel lights. The cooling fan is not running. The only fuse that I can see appears to be good (I can see the little wire right through from end to end of the fuse) I am also working with a service tech from Lincoln, but I am also looking for suggestions as to what to look for to get the power through to the front Green/Red/Yellow LED's.

Any suggestion as to what other information you need to make the situation clearer, I will try to obtain. I must say I am not an electronic genius, but I have been into a number of electronic devices and have had a fair response in making the required repair.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

A schematic would be an immense help for us to provide suggestions.

The unit in question belongs to my son. One of his teenage sons(my grandson) was using this unit and ignored the 40% duty cycle and just kept cutting until the machine stopped. It was taken to a repair shop and for a fee of $85.00 my son was told it was not worth repairing. This has now sat collecting dust for several years and I have taken on the project to see if I can make the necessary repairs. I have opened the unit, and there is no visible signs of any blown or burnt components. However, when I turn on the power, and apply the air pressure, I am not getting any power through to the front panel lights. The cooling fan is not running. The only fuse that I can see appears to be good (I can see the little wire right through from end to end of the fuse) I am also working with a service tech from Lincoln, but I am also looking for suggestions as to what to look for to get the power through to the front Green/Red/Yellow LED's.

Any suggestion as to what other information you need to make the situation clearer, I will try to obtain. I must say I am not an electronic genius, but I have been into a number of electronic devices and have had a fair response in making the required repair.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Looking at a fuse is not a good test. You must test it for continuity. Been there, done that. You need to test that power is getting to where it needs to get to, systematically. If not, then the question becomes "Why not?" Each well performed test is worth a million expert opinions...

+1 on testing the fuse for continuity and Bob's procedure for diagnostics.
The the line your son was told "not worth repairing" sounds like a scam, perhaps hoping you wouldn't pay the $85 and abandon the machine.

I have talked to a fellow in one of our local Welding Supply . He has offered to try and track down a technicians schematic and check point sheet. As it was close to closing time everything is on hold until Monday. He says to bring the unit in and he will fire it up for me and see if he can detect anything. So this is my project for Monday..

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I knew I was searching for the needle in a hay stack with the little information I was able to give.

In case this new contact is unable to talk his technician into giving him the information, does anyone here have any further suggestions as to where to find a schematic, preferably with the tech check up points...

Thanks.

i own one of the little plasma cutters in question,

here's the schematic i have
Lincoln%2BPlasma%2BSchematic0001.jpg

as you can see,
the control board controls everything, the inverter board steps up the voltages- but if you don't have 65 psi air it won't even turn on

Last edited:
Thanks, I have the exact same picture. What I am looking for is the electronic component schematic, and if possible the technicians check point sheet. The chap I talked to today says there is a sheet available that tells the tech to check point A with point B etc and you should get such and such for a reading. I need to follow the power in, down the line point by point to see where it is not getting through. Right now I don't have any indication that there is power except the power switch lights up when turned on. Tomorrow I will check out that first (and only FUSE that I can see) and see if the power is going beyond that fuse. I will also double check the air psi. I am quite sure my supply is set above that. I don't get any red/yellow/green lights blinking on the front panel even when I turn the power on..
Thanks again for your suggestions.

i'm sorry that i couldn't be more help with component schematic.
out of curiosity , have you searched on ebay for a board?

Back