Little mods making things better. (And other Stuff!)

Anyone had any experience with cleaning oil deposits from the link belts I'm using? I notice that my belt is starting to slip at times when cutting. If it were a "normal" fan belt I would have used mineral spirits on a rag but with a link belt it wants to grab that rag right out of my hand and into the pulleys! LoL

I don't think you can replace the bushings with something off the shelf and get something better than .0035". But I've been wrong a time or two. I always thought the bushings in it, were fitted special. And so far as cleaning the link belt goes, you may try to do that with the motor unplugged.

I don't think you can replace the bushings with something off the shelf and get something better than .0035". But I've been wrong a time or two. I always thought the bushings in it, were fitted special. And so far as cleaning the link belt goes, you may try to do that with the motor unplugged.
I've been thinking about it and "maybe" a fingernail brush with a little solvent on it might work. As far as the bushings go there is a large slotted tightening screw for each bushings and you just loosen the screw and they slide out with a little pressure applied. And yes that is after removing the spindle from the head.

Attachments

• 20211127_080636.jpg
    20211127_080636.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 22
Yeah like I said, I've been wrong a time or two. Lol

Just did a test cut over 5.5"length. At the chuck my mic is telling me it's cutting deeper by about.0035" at the chuck than at the tailstock. What if I offset the tailstock by .003" so that more material is cut at the tailstock to match the chuck measurement? And just left it that way. Inquiring minds want to know!

Try it and see. What's the worst that could happen?
What's the diameter of the work piece? Depth of cut? I think it could just be deflection of the workpiece.

My spindle bushings came in this afternoon and I replaced the old ones. It is definitely tighter now but is expected until they wear in a little. The old ones did have some scaring on them but otherwise looked ok. They were not as tight on the spindle as the new ones so maybe I did some good. Even though the bushings are supposedly porus I drilled a very tiny 5/64" hole for lubrication.

Side Note: Wasn't feeling well today and did a home Covid test and it was positive. Wife and I have appointments for tomorrow to do another test at CVS Pharmacy. If she's ok I'll make her stay at daughters house. She's 77 and am pretty concerned for her.

Last edited:
I wish you a speedy recovery! Hopefully your wife didn't catch it. My wife and kids didn't.
I'm looking forward to hearing back with some run out numbers with the new spindle bearings.

I wish you a speedy recovery! Hopefully your wife didn't catch it. My wife and kids didn't.
I'm looking forward to hearing back with some run out numbers with the new spindle bearings.
Thanks! I'm making a batch of Hydroxychloroquine until I can see my doctor. On YouBoob it shows how to make a natural liquid Hydroxychloroquine. Sounds crazy but might be worth a try.

Attachments

• 20211230_233445.jpg
    20211230_233445.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 17
Hydroxychloroquine
FDA canceled this on June 15, 2020 because clinical studies showed that hydroxychloroquine is unlikely to be effective for treatment of COVID-19 in these patients and some serious side effects, such as irregular heartbeat, were reported.

Back