LMS 3960 X-axis Power Feed (the powerglide experiment)

@toysareforboys thanks for that. I've been noodling that around for a bit. I picked up a stepper motor (no gearbox), and one of the automotive power seat motors that a number of guys have used for power feed, but still haven't hit on how I want to attack the next version.

The gearbox on the one you pictured looks suspiciously similar to the one that I trashed. I'm curious if 'all metal gears' includes brass (worm gear), which is what failed on my first version.

I know you thought that you'd seen the end of this project, but it's just been simmering. It takes me a while to let the ideas gel, and I've found that it I take a break and not consciously think about a problem, things will come together in their own sweet time.

So, a couple of issues with the first try, motor was underpowered, servo was underpowered, electronics were ok, but I wanted it to be super skookum. New plan, use two stepper motors and a couple of rails with linear bearings and a lead screw like a 3d printer. After many, many hours in Fusion 360, I'm ready so start construction, just waiting on one more stepper motor driver and some screws. Here's the plan:

Power Feed v5.png

Still very compact 60mm x 150mm x 111mm. The modular design will allow removal of the entire mechanism with just two screws, while leaving the table end, lead screw, bearing and gear in place if needed.

Power Feed v5.01.png

I didn't model the cog belt, I know, I'm lazy...

Power Feed v5.02.png

Power Feed v5.03.png
Power Feed v5.04.png
Power Feed v5.05.png

Are you planning on using an open-loop approach to get proper engagement of the gears? The stepper/feed screw arrangement could apply a lot of force to the gears if over-driven. On the other hand, you probably won't need a very beefy stepper for that part of the design. And once the gears are properly meshed you likely won't even need to keep the little stepper powered up. That's a very creative approach!

If you mean a loop cog belt, yes. The stepper controller I'm using will let me set a position when energized if I understand the documents correctly. It's very little movement, but I'll just have to dial the mesh in manually. I ordered an Arduino board today, just to play with using it as a controller vs just the stepper controllers. I think I will be able to achieve a smoother engagement and speed ramp up/down that way.

@Tio Loco I have been playing with the idea of "learning" Arduino based on some comments on this board. A couple things for Lathe and mill, but also I could bring to fruition, some things knocking around in my head for work the last 6-7 years.
As far as controlling steppers, reading sensors/servos, how impossible would this be for a noob? Am I biting off way too much? I did download the program and looked over examples, but I don't know what its limits are for the aforementioned wish list.
Nice work!

Last edited:
@Tio Loco I have been playing with the idea of "learning" Arduino based on some comments on this board. A couple things for Lathe and mill, but also I could bring to fruition, some things knocking around in my head for wok the last 6-7 years.
As far as controlling steppers, reading sensors/servos, how impossible would this be for a noob? Am I biting off way too uch? I did download the program and looked over examples, but I don't know what its limits are for the aforementioned wish list.
Nice work!
Can't wait to see how you do! I'm building an Arduino based automatic firework controller for 64 cues (fireworks), will have colour touchscreen, play music, etc. Going to be tricky no double. Anxious to hear how you do after you start!

-Jamie M.

@GunsOfNavarone I'm probably not the best person to ask about Arduino. Got a taste about 5 years ago getting the TouchDRO set up, and promptly forgot everything I learned, but from what I've seen, writing sketches (scripts, I don't know why they are called sketches) for the Arduino is pretty straghtforward and pretty basic.

I'm using (hopefully) small stepper controllers from Pololu.com, and they have a library available for Arduino integration, and pretty extensive documentation about the process, so it will be just a matter of beating my head against the wall until I figure it out.

I'd also suggest DroneBot Workshop on youtube. He's very good about distilling the voodoo down to layman level. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzml9bXoEM0itbcE96CB03w

@toysareforboys I can't wait to see that bad boy run...

I’m not sure if your use, but I’ve decided to go Clear Path SPHD stepper motors with the drive built in. Maybe take a look at those, I think it will surpass some headaches down the road.

Back