Lock Washers a Waste of Time?

Chips O'Toole

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
When I build projects, I use lock washers to prevent nuts from coming off. Today I read that they do not actually work. I am wondering if anyone here has heard about this.

A site called Bolt Science says experiments have shown that lock washers are useless, and that you're better off using Loctite or just tightening things securely.

Now I feel like I have to go out and remove a whole bunch of lock washers.

Maybe blue Loctite should be the default option instead of something for occasional use.

It always amazes me to find out engineers are completely wrong about simple things like this. If they're wrong about this, what else are they wrong about?

Page from Bolt Science

I file that into, you could find "evidence" to "prove" whatever result you actively seek out category and would choose personal experience over published article..... personally I feel lock washers, when used correctly, do a good job for what they were designed. My $0.02 worth.

I believe locktite is better, but I think lockwashers do work. I don't think manufacturers would waste the time and money to use them if they didn't do something

I would have to see the experiments they did. My understanding is that lock washers provide some force that prevents loosening under vibration. This needs more info.

I've never really found a nut with a lock washer under it any harder to break loose than one without. To me where they offer a benefit is in keeping the fastener from rapidly coming completely off of the bolt. With no washer, once the nut breaks free it can rapidly spin off of the bolt. With a washer it will slow this down until the range of the washer is reached. This may give you time to notice something is loose before it falls apart completely.

I missed the OP link. Interesting. I don’t know what i don’t know. I do know that in aviation, where it’s pretty important parts don’t fall off, lock washers are not used. Self-locking nuts, cotter keys and safety wire are pretty standard.

And for spaceflight hardware, split lockwashers are forbidden. They can fracture, creating FOD, which may cause big trouble. It is lock nuts or staking, or both.

I think saying that lockwashers are ineffective is too broad a generalization. I believe that they probably do work well for some applications.

One of the first training lessons we had at Caterpillar is on bolts, washers and torque. Cat does not use lock washers because they cause loose bolts. They use only hardened flat washers. Lock washers work for very minor assemblies that don't get much load or stress and are not life critical. They can cause loosening of bolts/nuts in vibrating environments. Cat uses lock tabs and lock nuts and sometimes prevailing torque nuts. They also use loctite.

Roy

Just buy a torque wrench, lock washers are garbage and every thing I buy that comes with them gets taken apart and I remove them all....

Personally I use lock washers, nylocks or loctite. The only things I can think of that have lost screws are cheap products from you know where that didn't have anything.

Back