Lock Washers a Waste of Time?

Take a lesson from Henry Ford on the Model T; they used lockwashers on the engine pan, and also used cotter pins along with them, the lockwashers maintained tension against the cork gaskets, and the cotter pins prevented things from falling apart when that tension ceased. Or, possibly credit the Dodge Brothers, who manufactured all the early Ford components up to 1914.

My dad always said that if the faces are flat lock washers aren't needed. On my sawmill the bolts would loosen on the drive wheel bearing flange mounts. Lock washers cured it.

Just my thoughts, for what they're worth.
When using longish bolts or studs, the stretch in a properly torqued fastener will keep the nut tight. When fastening thin material where the body of the fastener is short a lock washer will help maintain the tension that holds the nut from turning.
A lot of automotive or industrial equipment that is subjected to cyclic loading and vibration utilize nuts with a wide flange to help resist rotation (as well as distribute the load). The lock washer helps prevent rotation on a standard nut.

Greg

Except for maybe Nordloc's, lock washers are poor keepers in critical situations. Split locks are really bad, as mentioned before, they break out from under the fastener (or can, especially if reused). The "spring" in the system should be the bolt. If the bolt isn't long enough to be the spring, then another method (mechanical like safety wire, cotter pins, lock nuts (all metal top locks for larger than 5/16, nylocks for under), etc. or chemical like Loctite) is a better answer. You don't see lock washers on the rotating parts or head bolts of an engine. Pan bolts, while important to keep the juice in, or anything across a gasketed (I.e. movable) surface doesn't classify as a critical joint, so maybe split locks function (my experience is the torque spec is so you don't split the gasket, not to keep the bolt tight). There may be some marketing that promotes split locks as an enhancement, if for no other reason than the function is intuitively obvious. But blood letting had proponents at one time also. We could go into the reasons that torque is a craptastic method of measuring clamp load, which is really what we are trying to get to, in an effort to make enough friction to keep it all together but that's a whole 'nother discussion. And yes, I am an engineer - don't pretend to know everything, but I didn't learn everything out of a book either (most of the engineers I work with can't spell lathe, fewer actually use wrenches to work on anything, and I cuss engineers more than most people do because of it.) We build primarily off-highway trucks with no rear suspension, lock washers are not used - anymore.

I missed the OP link. Interesting. I don’t know what i don’t know. I do know that in aviation, where it’s pretty important parts don’t fall off, lock washers are not used. Self-locking nuts, cotter keys and safety wire are pretty standard.
But for safety wire and speed tape, planes would never stay together.

According to ASME, helical spring lock washers, or split ring washers if you prefer, aren’t intended to prevent loosening. They are intended to compensate for loosening within their range of capability. ASME publishes a standard for washers, including lock washers. The user is responsible for picking the proper washer for their particular application. Choose wisely.

Tom

I don't have a dog in this hunt. Having said that, in probably 68 years of turning wrenches I don't recall ever seeing a nut with a loose lock washer under it.
Yes, I do occasionally use Locktite, but only if I don't plan on removing the nut.

Most interesting. I appreciate the anecdotal information about different application areas. I think I might do some things differently here on.

The above discussion is very interesting and I notice no comment about the spurs on the outer corners of some lock washers, especially those from old time manufacturers. Being ignorant of the technical aspects I thought those spurs were there to gouge the nut and parent metal in a short distance of rotation and restrict further loosening. As for small diameter lock washers sold these days many are as smooth as baby bottoms. No doubt in critical fastener surfaces and mating material surfaces should be parallel and I would use some locktite also.
Have a good day
Ray

When I build projects, I use lock washers to prevent nuts from coming off. Today I read that they do not actually work.

The best use of star-type lock washers is in electrical connection, especially through paint. I've seen them
fail badly, though, in mechanical securing of parts. It might be that a heavy torque on the fastener
flattens the lock washer (but for grounding, I just counted turns after getting finger-tight, to get through the paint).

Back