Locktite Alternative.

Chewy

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Does anybody know of a thread locking sealer slightly less strong then blue locktite? I have a brand new (6 months) $7K Contra Bass that all the screws are just backing out. They go back real easy, so I think the tread fit is not great. I have other woodwinds that are 30 years old with nice fitting screws and rods that don't move unless turned with a screwdriver. I have the standard stuff, blue, red, green lockitite, superglue and shellac. I am not a fan on putting locktite on musical instrument screws, because sometime in the future they will need to be removed for repair. Heat and acetone are not good for wood and plastic.

There is a purple flavor that's lower retention than blue. There are tons of different types, really, check the Loctite website, and maybe look on the industrial product side of their business.

Thanks for the quick answers. Didn't know about the purple. Have hydraulic sealer and sleeve retainer and all sorts of stuff from Locktite. Got a small tube coming from Amazon. Will use it on a junker and see how hard it is to break loose. Screw size is around 2-53 for most of my stuff.

#2 screw? Should be fine. Clean and make sure there is no oil on any of the threads.

We used a product called vibratite.
They also sell different levels of thread locker but the one we used allowed adjustments instead of just a screw that is tightened to a hard stop

We used a product called vibratite.
They also sell different levels of thread locker but the one we used allowed adjustments instead of just a screw that is tightened to a hard stop
Second the Vibratite recommendation: doesn't get hard but made for keeping screws from backing out due to vibration. I use it on anything I want to stay put, but can move easily when needed (like table locks on my Mini-Mill: I can back them off a turn and they stay there until I need to lock).

Last edited:
The way I make locking screws: clean and degrease the screw with acetone and dry. Apply a small drop of fingernail polish to the threads and let dry. This will provide enough friction to prevent movement, but not enough to eliminate adjust ability.
I used to make a product that used 5-40 set screws that needed to stay in place , but not lock up. I started out using the locking type that have a spot of blue teflon on the threads. They worked fine , but the cost was about 35 cents. Standard set screws were 8 cents, so I figured out how to make them the locking type by cleaning and coating them with a drop of truck bed liner paint. When you go through 90,000 screws the savings add up.

Did you buy it new six months ago? Sounds like a factory defect, so it might be under warranty.

Back