Locktite Alternative.

P.S.: If it turns out it IS under warranty, you may wish to hold off on doing anything first. That could possibly void your warranty.

Regards

As this thread may be found a fix it search, I'll just ad dental floss, or Teflon tape can get you out of a jam also.

Thanks for the quick answers. Didn't know about the purple. Have hydraulic sealer and sleeve retainer and all sorts of stuff from Locktite. Got a small tube coming from Amazon. Will use it on a junker and see how hard it is to break loose. Screw size is around 2-53 for most of my stuff.
On something like that I might try a few wraps of Teflon tape to tighten the threads, I know it is slick but I have had good luck where the threads are a bit sloppy by adding a bit of thickness..

On something like that I might try a few wraps of Teflon tape to tighten the threads, I know it is slick but I have had good luck where the threads are a bit sloppy by adding a bit of thickness..
I can't see getting teflon wrap around a #2 screw myself, some of you guys are more skilled than me!

The way I make locking screws: clean and degrease the screw with acetone and dry. Apply a small drop of fingernail polish to the threads and let dry. This will provide enough friction to prevent movement, but not enough to eliminate adjust ability.
I used to make a product that used 5-40 set screws that needed to stay in place , but not lock up. I started out using the locking type that have a spot of blue teflon on the threads. They worked fine , but the cost was about 35 cents. Standard set screws were 8 cents, so I figured out how to make them the locking type by cleaning and coating them with a drop of truck bed liner paint. When you go through 90,000 screws the savings add up.
Wish I had thought of that before investing in my bottle of Vibratite! Although, I both it 9 years ago and it's still good at $18 for 30ml (then), it may not have cost much more than nail polish.

my Father in law from my first bride worked at Martin Marietta back in the day. he said they used paint before locktite came out

I like Permatex #2 for that sort of stuff.
That said, I ain't never worked on musical instruments unless you count the squealing fan belt

@Chewy is this a contra bass recorder?

I would try white plumbers Teflon tape, one layer thick, however this might be too thick. I cannot see/feel just how loose these threads are. The thread root to tops for a #2 screws is around ?20? thousandths, so there isn't enough to work with. have you considered buying new instrument screws in case yours are undersized? hHave you measured the OD of these threads to see if they are undersized?

So many questions. Try purple loctite and see if you like it. if not, more questions.

The purple Locktite will be here tomorrow. I will try it on some Clarinet screws and see how it works. Looking into Vibratite, not aware of that. I forgot the fingernail polish trick. I haven't used that in about 40 years, after I first bought Locktite. I will buy a beer to the first person who can come and show me how to wrap Teflon tape around a number 2 screw thread, 3/16" long. :) I have used pipe dope, but that is messy and can harden up. As far as warranty, the band bought this in September. A Board member plays it and asked my wife to look at it . He has enough lung power to overcome all the leaks, The first thing she saw was most keys are loose. She snugged them and he played last week in the concert. She said the screws were very loose and everything is very tarnished. Looks like it is a hundred years old. . He said to take it home and fix it. He and the other members are aware of her quality of work vs the local big business sweat shops. It is currently sitting on a folding table in the living room as it it is 6' long.

Some trivia. Plenty of rants on here about lack of people in machining, mechanical , repair skills. There is even less instrument repair people. A quick Google shows 4 collages offering the course my wife took 40 years ago. Minnesota & Colorado are at the tops. There is also one in France or Italy that is world renown. Last year 200 degrees were awarded, up from 99 the year before. For a person who likes to work with their hands in a decent environment, this is a wide open business opportunity. Far less investment then automotive repair and no freezing outside or working in the woods to get something going. I done my share of that. Now days in a heated shop listening to music.

I really appreciate all the response and help. The people on this forum are very knowledgeable and can usually come up with a solution.

Back