Lodge and Shipley 16"x8' Model X Lathe

Hello all,

I think that I will have a go at the shaft removal process today. I won't likely get it all done, but I will get a good start on it.

First, I am heading out into the woods, to swap out my SD cards on a couple of game cameras. I am studying a family of coyotes. The temperature, factoring the wind chill, is - 40° !!! :eek 2: Coincidentally, it is the same temperature when converted to Fahrenheit. I'll turn the heat on in the shop, before I go.

I'll be back later on this afternoon, with some progress.

Brian

I'll be waiting for the update. :big grin: I really enjoy seeing how you get along with this project. I hope the gear issue doesn't discourage you, it's going to take considerable effort to find a solution without a good used parts source.

And good luck on the coyotes. My parents had trouble with coyotes getting into the baby lambs maybe 10-15 years ago. We have Eastern Coyotes around here, very clever and VERY pervasive. It was sooooo frustrating to see them kill for sport. It would have been different to see them eat their kill b/c they're hungry, but infuriating to see them kill half a dozen and only eat the tongues... :mad:

Thanks, Jake :)

I only had a bout an hour to spend in the shop, and shortly, I am heading out for the evening with my better half :)

At least I got a start on it. I first removed the belt tension, removed the belts, then the lock nut and lock washer, in order to remove the pulley. This permitted better access to all of the cap head bolts and taper pin.

I didn't really need to remove the woodruff key from the shaft, because, once I removed the taper pin, the whole assembly came away from the head stock. This is a fairly heavy piece of casting and it took me by surprise when it finally let go. It looks like it had been sealed with some gasket seal.

The bearing retainer plugs at the head stock end are nicely threaded for utilizing a slide hammer to remove them. The upper shafts bearing block has two threaded holes. I will make a bar with three holes in it to adapt the slide hammer to provide even pull.

I will be back at the lathe in the morning.

Brian

IMGP0305 (1024x768).jpgIMGP0306 (1024x768).jpgIMGP0308 (1024x768).jpgIMGP0309 (1024x768).jpgIMGP0310 (1024x768).jpgIMGP0311 (1024x768).jpgIMGP0312 (768x1024).jpg

Brain, that black looking sealant is old Permatex and I'm sure you about it. Go back with blue RTV if you like. Looks like there is a insert into the headstock housing that may allow pulling out that one gear I see there. Doesn't that gear drive the oil pump? And may be the oil pump is tied to that housing insert?

Ken

Hello Ken,

I am not quite sure what you are getting at, about the insert into the head stock housing. In the third picture up, from here, there is a gear outside the head stock housing. You can see 3 or 4 screws peeking out, behind the gear, which is a bearing retainer. That particular shaft is the clutch shaft, and it does drive the oil pump.

The two shafts beside the clutch shaft, almost vertical to one another, are where the two gears are damaged. The upper shaft houses the brake drum, which seems to be the source of a lot of that black goo.

Here's a few more pics of that area, from the top...

This one is from the end of the head stock, of course...

IMG_0697 (768x1024).jpg

This one from the opposite end, showing the oil pump on the right and the brake drum on the left...

IMG_0698 (768x1024).jpg

And this one from the rear of the head stock. You can see the two shifting levers that I will have to remove from the shaft, if I am determined to remove the shaft for inspection. I would like to determine if this crash has bent a shaft, while I am at it. As well, I'd like to have a peek at the brake drum and lining. If I go that route, I would be better off to remove the two bearing blocks, above the two top shafts, and remove the entire shaft assembly straight up and out. Before doing so, I will also have to remove the insert (bearing retainer) from the head stock housing. The lower shaft will require a different approach.

IMG_0699 (1024x768).jpg

It was a late night of fun and dancing with my lovely woman, so a late start to my day. The shop heat is on, so I'll be heading down after lunch.

Brian

If your lucky, those shaft assemblies my pull directly up out of the housing by removing the socket head cap screws that are holding the bearig blocks in place. I'm just guessing, fortunately, I did not have to tear into the headstock to do any repairs. I do know there was a bad gear in the headstock near the input shaft and I didn't mess with it. Just a little noisy. Possibly a bad bearing, too. I'll dig out my L & S book and study the headstock assembly. Been a while.
Ken

I bet if you low ball them on that price at around $500 USD they would come back at around $850 USD. Just a thought. I forgot about you being in Canada. You would have to pay and pickup in person.

Thanks for finding that link for me, Ken. That is so tantalizing.... Chances are slim to none that the gears that I need would also be damaged in this lathe's head stock, but inspecting such a lathe would be paramount, especially with the logistics and freight costs, not to mention my travel time.

Of course, as a self employed carpenter, this is the start of the 3 "hungry" months of the winter for me. My work drops of substantially at this time of year, and I struggle just to meet the regular bills. If this was in the spring or summer, I'd be on my way.... :)

Maybe it will still be around or another one will show up. Even if it cost me a couple thousand dollars, it is still a rather cheap buy for the parts that I need. I still haven't gone through the apron, or quick change gear box, and there may be other parts that I need. This lathe also has the speed chart that I am missing, and it looks like it has the ammeter.

Also, is that block at the rear of the cross slide, the remnants of a tracing attachment?

Brian

Yes, that lathe has the tracer mounted on it at one time. I have a manual for the tracer if you are ever interested in it, it's kind of unique compared to others out there. That bracket on the backside of the chuck on the headstock is part of the bracket that held the template and the hydraulic tracer valve. I know that one has been there for a while. The price started at around $5 grand. IF it sells, HGR is always getting one here and there, just have to watch their website onece in a while.

Which end of the country do you live on?

Back