Lola

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
She never barked at other dogs or people walking by our home. Only at us, and only when she needed something important like food or belly rubs.

Lola died today, she lived with us at the corner of Traverse and Spruce for most of her ten years. In a town where people know you by your dog she always made us look good. When we decided to move to Elk Rapids we promised our daughter she could have a dog. I didn’t see myself with a little puppy so when we saw her at the adoption pen in Petsmart I knew I could be proud walking her every day regardless of the weather outside. Blue eyed blonde who always drew compliments from strangers and kindly stopped to let children pet her when asked.

Her last day was filled with the joy of running on the beach and meeting new friends, what else could any of us ask for?

Dogs give so much more love than humans it’s no surprise their lives are so much shorter than ours. I realize now why they have been with us so long and how much our lives are better for it.

We should all be so lucky to have known a soul so kind.

lola.jpeg

John Matthews

I couldn't agree with you more . Our dogs are part of the family . We lost Roxy ( avatar pic ) after 7 years and we were crushed . Sorry to hear about Lola , sounded like she had a great life .

Been there, done that! I will likely not have another dog as a family member, I can't bear the loss another time.

I lost one , and now have 3 . All Shelties . We went for 2 days without a dog and that was it , the house just wasn't the same without a best friend to tag along .

We have almost always been at least a 2 dog family. We started with an older shelter dog (Gretchen), who lasted about three years. A week after we got her, another place with puppies advertised called us, so we also got a puppy (Tiger). It was Gretchen's calm demeanor, that made training Tiger go so well. After Gretchen passed, We picked up another older dog (A brown (Liver) Dalmatian, named Cookie). Cookie and Tiger both moved with us here to Colorado. After two years, Cookie passed. About 6 months later, my Mother who lived next door, got a A dog that lasted about 2 years. Not that We would do it differently again, but We decided we had enough loss, and picked up 2 puppies (Rosie & Sherman) 6 years ago, Giving Us 3 dogs. Feb 2019, Tiger passed after 19 years. Then the shocker, Rosie passed back in Jan, after a relatively short battle with cancer. So a month ago, we picked up another puppy, We named Delta.

We Gave and received so much love with all of them.

I hope I did not steal your story John. Your Lola could be a sister of Our Tiger. I can tell that you loved her. Sorry to hear of her passing, That sadness you feel, will change to found memories, but still remain as a sadness. Do not ever feel ashamed for feeling sadness over losing a pet. Do not let that sadness prevent you from taking on another pet. It sucks that they live such short lives, but they will give enough love to make up for it.

Attachments

• DSC00423a.jpg
    DSC00423a.jpg
    920 KB · Views: 5
So sorry for your loss, John. Sounds like she was loved and had a wonderful life and clearly gave as much as she got. I know exactly what this feels like and my condolences go out to you and your family.

Sorry for your loss, I'm getting tired of digging holes in the back yard. My number 3 chocolate(13 yo) has cancer, he's not suffering yet, but it won't be long.... Sorry about the ugly guy in the picture.

Sorry for your loss. After adopting a 10 and a 12 year old dog 2 years ago I can’t imagine life without them. Don’t look forward to the inevitavle.

Oh John, I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been there too many times and know the emotions.

John, I know your sorrow, it’s gut wrench saying “bye” to a best friend.

Back