LONG TIME MODELER GETS THE LATHE BUG

Ive seen a couple harry matches back in the 80s with entangled lines and have no idea how they keep control!!
I rememeber one time someone got thier lines cut and the model got loose and flew right over the pit area, you talk about crazy!!!

We had some weird stuff happen too. Just too many kids who didn’t understand how dangerous this stuff was. Things like not putting dowels through the engine mounts on a combat plane and have mounts come loose. Not putting a safety wire on the engine.
The guy who owned the Torpedo before us had a speed prop on it and was running it up and the pits and like a dummy was leaning over tuning the engine and it shed a blade. Hit him right in the cheek and laid it open. He was scared of it after that and that’s why we could buy it off him.

We had some weird stuff happen too. Just too many kids who didn’t understand how dangerous this stuff was. Things like not putting dowels through the engine mounts on a combat plane and have mounts come loose. Not putting a safety wire on the engine.
The guy who owned the Torpedo before us had a speed prop on it and was running it up and the pits and like a dummy was leaning over tuning the engine and it shed a blade. Hit him right in the cheek and laid it open. He was scared of it after that and that’s why we could buy it off him.
you think thats crazy, long time ago some heli guy was out flying hoovering checking blade pitch, evadently one of the blades let go and almost took his head off, if I rememeber right it severd his throat and bled to death which killed him>>>>>>>>>>>poor guy was standing in the wrong place at the wrong time

you think thats crazy, long time ago some heli guy was out flying hoovering checking blade pitch, evadently one of the blades let go and almost took his head off, if I rememeber right it severd his throat and bled to death which killed him>>>>>>>>>>>poor guy was standing in the wrong place at the wrong time
Woa. My uncle was into model airplanes his whole life. So he progressed into RC and then messing with copters. He was a ex military pilot and even had his helicopter license but RC copters he hit his wall. He had a a egg beater and a Bell Ranger.

The egg beater was huge used almost like a chainsaw engine or something. He was hovering it out in front of him all the sudden it went to full throttle and forward. Everybody got out of the way except for his little tiny wife that had nowhere to go but between two cars. It was like she was a magnet and it caught up to her just beyond the cars and hit her square in the back and went face down with the copter spinning on her back. Somehow maybe because she was all bundled up didn’t even get a scratch on her.

Oh the good old days.
I got my start in CL Combat. I flew nothing but CL combat for a bunch of years. Slow, Fast and 1/2A. Back then the Supertiger .35, G21 series was king for both Slow and Fast Combat. The black widow with some mods was the ticket for 1/2A
The old Pacifier fuel tanks.
I had my share of Ringmasters, and Flite Streaks and Voodoos and Banshees and Guillotines.
Missile mist fuel. or Fox 40 / 40 for contests.
Some extra additive that should have made me dead, but didn't know better back then.

There were some days where we burned a full gallon of Missile Mist in one day just flying the 1/2As, That is a LOT of flights at 1/2 oz per flight.

Now I am all RC and will fly any thing that gets off the ground.

Really? Purposely crashing your brother's plane because he lost fair and square? That's pretty low.

A butt whoopin would have commenced immediately if that was my plane.

your talkin my language partner and went thru the same things you did. the sickness started with the plastic fantastics back in the early 60s, wenmac cox gilbert thimble drone and all the names back then you could get for $9.95. and some came RTF! then the RC bug got me so flew that a few yrs and still have some just sitting here, after that got interested with helis in the early 90s so messed with them a while and still have some gas and lectric power. up to date have been playing with Old time rubber freeflight which has been a challange and still is.......bottom line is I got a house full of models and kits that need to be flown/built just waiting for good weather..........Moving on>>>>>Back in the hay day hobby shops were everywhere even in dept stores! and they were "real HS where you could sit at table drink coffee and BS with the guys.....yes I rememeber.

you mentioned U/C combat, I prolly know some names that flew that event in the seattle arera.

My first RC helicopter was a Hirobo gas powered copter. Don't ask what model or size, I was a novice and WAY in over my head. Suffice to say it was big. I fired it up in my back yard just to do a hover test and see if it ran. Everyone was standing behind me.

I got it no higher than one foot off the ground and in my mind it hit me: I'm about 15ft away from this thing, that is a freakin' weedwacker engine and my little kids, wife and mother are curiously standing behind me watching. Also, I'm definitely going to crash this.

I put it down and that afternoon had it sold on Craigslist. I've since moved onto the smaller eFlite and Blade electric birds.

Back