Long way around...

I'm pretty sure that this wasn't the ideal mill for the job, but its sharp and it cuts well so I took a shot with a few shallow passes.View attachment 323203
Looks great and must be gratifying after the long way around. . . Bet you're building up your arm with all that hand cranking on that massive rotary table to boot!

Bruce

120 lbs! Kinda sucks for carrying around the garage. :oops:

You could bore some decent size holes in the top and bottom plates, make it lighter without losing strength or usefulness.

I went as low as I dared and then flipped the bar. I suppose that I could've put spacers under it and made all my cuts without moving it, but then the reference pin on the RT wouldn't have reached the bar stock. Live and learn I guess.
20200503_122200.jpg

Not perfect. There are definitely some tool marks that I can't explain, but the radius is good.

20200503_122312.jpg

I cleaned them up a little on the belt sander and now I'm waiting for a 7/8" drill bit to enlarge those holes. I'd really like to put a 1/8" radius on all the edges, but I'm not sure what the best tool for that job would be...

Suggestions?

20200503_135958.jpg
I'm pretty sure that my Porter Cable router is NOT up to that task.

Seems like that may drive the cost of my $20 parts right through the ceiling.

You could use an 1/8" corner rounding end mill, looks like a corner rounding router bit with no ball bearing at the center. It'd be a piece of cake with your set up on the rotary table. I've got a link to one from Penn Tool Co. below, $9 plus shipping.

I'd move off in the X and creep the tool into the work. Adjust your Z until the tool is a touch short of the 1/8" depth. Go too far and you'll get a ridge on the part. Then rotate your table to cut the rad around the radius. I'd think with this minimal depth of cut, you could pull your clamps on one side of the part and run along the X. Replace the clamps, pull from the opposite side and repeat. I like how you think, the 1/8" radius would be a nice touch on the part.

Bruce

1588636294722.png

Excellent! I'm tracking on exactly what you're describing. Time to place an order!

I think more s'ess are needed. Radiusessess. :grin:

Back