Look at this beauty

I bet it would be great for fluting barrels and cutting gears.
Cutting gears yes. Fluting barrels no. I have done both on a horizontal mill. It is much harder to cut a constant depth flute on a horizontal mill due to the taper of the barrel. You would have to shim one end of a tapered barrel and that would result in either your tailstock or your divider needing to be mounted on an angle. On a vertical mill you just offset one end of the barrel and clamp your tailstock and diving head to the table.

It is a nice looking machine.

Cutting gears yes. Fluting barrels no. I have done both on a horizontal mill. It is much harder to cut a constant depth flute on a horizontal mill due to the taper of the barrel. You would have to shim one end of a tapered barrel and that would result in either your tailstock or your divider needing to be mounted on an angle. On a vertical mill you just offset one end of the barrel and clamp your tailstock and diving head to the table.

It is a nice looking machine.
You would need to do the same thing on any mill.

You would need to do the same thing on any mill.
Yeah, he's thinking of side milling and not about using the overarm.

We have had a huge Supermax mill with both a horizontal and vertical spindle for 30yrs and I've seen the H spindle used exactly once.

This could be used to line bore. I have seen some in use as a matter of fact repaired one a month ago and the customer has four.
Much of machining can be done different ways.
I don't think it will be as useful as mini BP mill or full size But it sure is pretty as well priced.
No I don't have the room...lol

My big Gorton horizontal has a swing out vertical head which really ups the usefulness. Have yet to use it as I need to put together a 20hp RCP to run it. One of these days I'll get to it. Mike

I find that horizontal mills can be quite useful. Their biggest downfall is the time it takes to change tooling, cutters and arbors. They’re not as versatile at making little parts with multiple features and holes, but it doesn’t mean they don’t have their uses. As far as what they can do, milling slots, facing, boring, drilling, reaming, sawing, profiles shapes. And these are just the ones that immediately come to mind.

If you have a little extra room, they can be well worth the effort. Mine had never run a job in the 37 years that it had been stored. And even so, I picked it up for about the cost of a used right-angle attachment for a Bridgeport. One of the things I notice in machine shops is that you can never have too many ways to do a job. If you do fabrication, repair work or prototyping, more ways to do something makes for better adaptability. There is usually one way that will be the best for that job.

I’ve included a few pictures of a couple of jobs I’ve done on mine (that I actually remembered to take pictures of.) The first pictures are of boring on a TOS lathe apron.
IMG_1242.jpg IMG_1238.jpg

The following are of some horizontal milling of electric motor mounts. It’s only a 1/4" depth and a 1.5” wide step. The machine cut these in three passes - conventional milling one way; climb milling back. A very easy and quick job for a horizontal.

IMG_1681.jpg IMG_1680.jpg

These last pictures are before and after shots of a Cincinnati Bickford drill table that I refaced on my horizontal mill using a boring head with a 1” carbide boring bar as a fly cutter. The table is about 24” x 28” and 600 pounds. The mill did the job in three passes.

IMG_0270.JPG IMG_1096.jpg

what does a horizontal mill do better than a vertical other than being more rigid?
also, if you were doing production, you could gang cutters by using spacers between and make multiple cuts in one pass. And the slot from a horizontal can be nicer than a vertical due to the way it cuts.

Back