Looking at a SF m1018

Remember, you only need one. If you can’t find a good used machine just keep saving up until you can order new.

Patience is key here, if you like projects then buy one. But, don’t expect to save money in the long run.

The lathe is the heart of your home machine shop and having a capable unit will serve you well. I consider 12x36 a minimum size for being able to handle hobby size work. Plenty of folks do well with less but you need to understand your needs.

Keep looking, you’ll find one.

John

The advantage of something like an Atlas is that you can be confident the factory work was done correctly, and the only issues may be wear or broken or missing parts. Worn bedways are fairly easy to spot. Spindle bearings and gears can be replaced, and fairly economically too. Ebay usually can supply what you need. Atlas lathes can cut a very wide range of threads, both Imperial and Metric. With some of the imports, the machines are so poorly made they might as well be melted back down, from some of the horrors I have seen. Some don't even include the correct change gears.
-M

Been going in circles on that for a while now - don't wanna spend a ton of money on a machine (around $1,500 would be ideal). Could this one be considered a capable one? https://denver.craigslist.org/tls/d/castle-rock-craftsman-metal-lathe/7383167575.html

Last time I looked at an older Atlas (without quick change gears) it rattled like a tin-can. It had its bed ways badly worn, so I walked away. I just don't know what they should sound like when they're running right without some practice and with a good sharp cutter, not a piece of crap that the owner scrounged up for me last minute...

Depending on condition and what "all the tooling I have" actually is, that is worth looking at.

Prices on everything have shot up new and used in the past year or two. It has a quick change gear box and quick change tool post so it probably gets used. Looks like the bench comes with it, and looks like a decent bench. There are better deals out there with patience, but as long as it is in decent shape and has the usual standard tooling (3 and 4 jaw chuck, steady rest, follow rest, centers etc) it isn't a bad deal from what I've been seeing lately.

I was just pricing materials today to make a bench for one of my lathes, I'd give that guy $200 just for the bench.

that Atlas is a perfectly capable lathe to get started with. Lots of people have done fine work with them. There are better lathes out there, but the best lathe is the one you can use :) Price is reasonable too, somewhat depending on what tooling comes with it. Even if you were to upgrade to a better lathe in a year or two, I doubt you'd be out much money if any.

I called about that Craftsman lathe today and spoke with the owner. He thinks it's from the 50s, it's a Sears Roebuck brand Model 101-20140 (though I'm not finding anything with that model number on the net). He's owned it since the 90s and used it to turn some spacers and rods for his motorcycle hobby. It's a 10x36in machine; he said there is no wear on the ways and everything is tight. Sounds like I should go down there and see it in person (he's about 1 hr south of me, mostly due to traffic). He has 3 and 4jaw chuck with it, QCTP, live center and some HSS tool bits. He's moving out of state and would rather not bring it with him.

If anyone has any info on this model, plz let me know.

Last edited:
I called about that Craftsman lathe today and spoke with the owner. He thinks it's from the 50s, it's a Sears Roebuck brand Model 101-20140 (though I'm not finding anything with that model number on the net). He's owned it since the 90s and used it to turn some spacers and rods for his motorcycle hobby. It's a 10x36in machine; he said there is no wear on the ways and everything is tight. Sounds like I should go down there and see it in person (he's about 1 hr south of me, mostly due to traffic). He has 3 and 4jaw chuck with it, QCTP, live center and some HSS tool bits. He's moving out of state and would rather not bring it with him.

If anyone has any info on this model, plz let me know.

Lathes UK does list 101-20140 as a model number, but no specifics other than being a post WW2, pre-1957 model. The Sears numbering system beyond who made it (101 = Atlas) can be very confusing, especially when there were so many options that could be bought with the lathe or bought separately and then added later.

You could try asking in the Atlas / Craftsman section of the forum and probably get a better response from someone who owns one. There is a member WA5CAB who knows these lathes very well.

If you don't know the lathes UK site, it has a wealth of information on vintage US and European lathes. Here is the page that would cover the model you are looking at.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page2.html

They have their detractors, but there are a lot of happy Craftsman owners out there. Agree with Mark at $1600 I don't think you would have much trouble getting most of your money back if you decide to replace it with something else in the future.

Your first lathe is the hardest part. Once you have something to work with, even if it it ultimately falls short of your needs it becomes so much easier to wait for "the one". It also become much easier to figure out what your needs really are, bigger, longer, beefier, more accurate? A lot of that is very hard to figure out in a vacuum.

US made by Atlas for Sears.

lathes.co.uk is a huge repository of machine tool info, check it out.

John

I believe that's actually a 12" swing model. The tall compound is the tip-off
If there is much bed wear it will be near the headstock. Look for score marks where the carriage slides and feel with your fingernail for ridges and deep scores.
You can also do the light carriage lock and run to the tailstock test but a visual and finger inspection is usually sufficient
Don't worry if you see a few dents on the inside corners of the ways from chucks being dropped- most lathes have a few.
Spin the chuck and feel/listen to the spindle. Good bearings have a smooth quiet roar that indicates they are ok.
-M

Last edited:
Back