Looking at a Vevor Lathe Have Questions

Not having a 28 pitch is a deal breaker for me. My mini doesn't do 28 whick is why I have the big mini ^.^
It does list 28, so it would do a 12-28 for typical AR muzzle threads.

I don't know if it applies to this machine, but it's something worth considering for gunsmith work. Years ago my father bought an imported machine that claimed to do both metric and imperial threads. When he got it, it turned out it was really a metric machine, with a metric lead screw and used conversion gears to do imperial threads. It was sort of the exact opposite of vintage U.S. machines that used metric conversion gears, but not done as well.

For common nuts and bolts type stuff he said it was fine, but when he tried to cut square threads (I think 10tpi) for a rifle barrel, the conversion was off just enough it wasn't going to work. Luckily, back then he was always signed up for the local community college adult education evening machine shop class to have access to bigger machines so one of his projects there was to make a new lead screw for the machine and he could finally cut accurate imperial threads. I would want to read some reviews by people who have used these more than the typical Amazon "Just got it and it's great" sort of reviews.

out of the box that lathe will not do respectable gunsmith work, can you make it into a capable lathe for that? yes but you will have a lot of money and time into it, I purchased an MX-600A from ebay and love it but then i did not expect it to do gunsmith type work out of the box. here is a link covering my experience with a lathe close to yours.

good luck

I would stay away from this brand- too many problems have been reported
And no parts or service available
I have heard lots about Vevor, non of it good... Take a look at Grizzly, Precision Mathews and Little Machine Shop, PM has imperial lead screw so you can use the thread cutting gauge rather than leavening it engaged....

Micro Mark has a few nice machines, but prices are high
I would be cautious about Bolton and Shop Fox also
The low price on some of these machines is quickly forgotten when major problems arise
Ask yourself what would you do if the motor went out after a couple months of use
Believe me, it happens all too often

I think the major appeal of these is the 1-1/2" spindle bore on a small lathe. I know some have made these into an actual useable lathe, but like many of the inexpensive import lathes it seems like a buyer should be prepared to do a lot of work to get it into shape.

I think the major appeal of these is the 1-1/2" spindle bore on a small lathe. I know some have made these into an actual useable lathe, but like many of the inexpensive import lathes it seems like a buyer should be prepared to do a lot of work to get it into shape.
i would agree, the 1.5" bore is nice as well as the 1100 watt (1.5hp) motor. the quality is suspect but the replacement parts are are out there you just need to look, there is close to no support from the supplier so be prepared to go it on your own. now on the other hand you will find it hard to find the combination of features found on these lathes for 3x the price from the usual suspects.

Thanks for the info i really appreciate it.
What dos everyone think about this one?
https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-10-x-22-benchtop-metal-lathe-with-dro/g0602z
I would go to pm and get a 10X22V or 10X30V before i got that, the pms have better everything and the dro on that grizzly is a joke, the pm also comes with power cross feed, even better if you can swing it is the PM 11X30V and it includes a 1.5 bore. also the grizzly is not Vari speed.The 11X30 is a D1-4 Cam lock chuck and a true ac vfd drive that puts it into a totally new category.
i own a grizzly mill and like it but when it comes to lathes Grizzly just does not have a compelling option over PM in this size range, on the other hand the grizzly G0704 mill is selling for below 2K with a stand which is a very compelling offering vs the PM mills (i think the PM mills in that class are better but hard to beat the price/value provided by the Grizzly g0704).

Last edited:
Thanks for the info i really appreciate it.
What dos everyone think about this one?
https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-10-x-22-benchtop-metal-lathe-with-dro/g0602z
for me the decision for a starter lathe came down to the about $1000 for a mini lathe on steroids (MX-600A) or jump up to the $3k level for a PM/Grizzly, i went the cheaper path because i like to tear them apart and remake them better and i would be more hesitant on the more expensive equipment. you are in a different position so your decision may be different.

Back