Looking at a Vevor Lathe Have Questions

Thank you very much for the info and the link. I have sent him an email. So how big is this thing compared to like a mini lathe?
Huge be prepared for it to be difficult to move and have dedicated space (A LOT) for it. Also if you call that guy he is going to tell you sorry we just sold that one but I have this one over here for sale. He is all over CL like a used car salesman.

If you are going to buy a use old iron lathe you need to know how to evaluate a use vintage lathe, have the money and a way to rig it out of where it is ready and waiting. Good deals will not wait for you the bad ones will.

About a 1000lbs sounds right. You can strip off a couple hundred pounds or so by removing the tail stock, chuck and any other accessories. I was able to unload my South Bend 13" lathe off of my pretty low to the ground trailer by myself without any troubles

What you get for all that extra weight is... well weight... and ridgidity. You will be able to taker deeper cleaner cuts and get a better finish. It will have less of a propensity to chatter.

To me it looks like the lathe in the picture has a collet chuck mounted. I am looking forwards to the day I can afford a collet chuck for my lathe. A collet chuck, a 3 jaw chuck and a 4 jaw chuck is am awfully sweet setup! Collet chucks have less run out than a 3 jaw scroll chuck. On a 4 jaw independent chuck you adjust each jaw independently so you adjust the part to run true without any ring out... great for precision but not where near as fast as a collet chuck for mounting a part and making curly-Q's quickly.

Please let us know what reply you get from the seller? It looks like a really nice deal... The seller sounds like a complete used car salesman though. Just one single picture gives me an uncomfortable feeling... but I would invest the time too look at it.

About a 1000lbs sounds right. You can strip off a couple hundred pounds or so by removing the tail stock, chuck and any other accessories. I was able to unload my South Bend 13" lathe off of my pretty low to the ground trailer by myself without any troubles

What you get for all that extra weight is... well weight... and ridgidity. You will be able to taker deeper cleaner cuts and get a better finish. It will have less of a propensity to chatter.

To me it looks like the lathe in the picture has a collet chuck mounted. I am looking forwards to the day I can afford a collet chuck for my lathe. A collet chuck, a 3 jaw chuck and a 4 jaw chuck is am awfully sweet setup! Collet chucks have less run out than a 3 jaw scroll chuck. On a 4 jaw independent chuck you adjust each jaw independently so you adjust the part to run true without any ring out... great for precision but not where near as fast as a collet chuck for mounting a part and making curly-Q's quickly.

Please let us know what reply you get from the seller? It looks like a really nice deal... The seller sounds like a complete used car salesman though. Just one single picture gives me an uncomfortable feeling... but I would invest the time too look at it.
I have been watching that guy on CL down here in Texas for a wile he is a bait and switch car salesman hawking lathes and mills. there is no lathe to investigate you will find that he has a lot of other junk for sale when you contact him at higher prices. you will notice that the photo does not match the description, it has a collet chuck not a 3 or a 4 jaw.

see a pattern?
all are "like new" "for sale by owner"
nation wide used equipment salesman and not too honest either
if you look at the bottom of his listing you can see he hawks a lot of different stuff and he copy pasted it into this add.

circling back to what i stated earlier, if you are going to buy a used old iron lathe you need to know how to evaluate one and you need to be ready to execute immediately. the good deals will not wait around. if you chose to deal with a dishonest person like that you will be at a disadvantage from the start.

Last edited:
being where the OP was a wile back i investigated a lot, and while i'm keeping a eye out for a good used heavy lathe, i found that the used market has some good deals but you have to be quick or lucky. used old iron is hard to evaluate vs newer Asian stuff where you can get lightly used recently made stuff. on the older and heavier iron there is a lot of commitment just from the weight of the equipment and it tends to have complex inner workings that may or may not have been maintained and may be toast. none of this is insurmountable but it is not something a noob will be able to sort out easily. in my case i decided to buy a cheap mini to tinker around with while i developed some skills. this way i can make a better decision about do i really want to invest that much time into this hobby, what do i really need, what support infrastructure do i need? i have already changed my plans about conditioned space for the machining equipment.

being where the OP was a wile back i investigated a lot, and while i'm keeping a eye out for a good used heavy lathe, i found that the used market has some good deals but you have to be quick or lucky. used old iron is hard to evaluate vs newer Asian stuff where you can get lightly used recently made stuff. on the older and heavier iron there is a lot of commitment just from the weight of the equipment and it tends to have complex inner workings that may or may not have been maintained and may be toast. none of this is insurmountable but it is not something a noob will be able to sort out easily. in my case i decided to buy a cheap mini to tinker around with while i developed some skills. this way i can make a better decision about do i really want to invest that much time into this hobby, what do i really need, what support infrastructure do i need? i have already changed my plans about conditioned space for the machining equipment.
Good resources for material , tooling,
One thing that comes to mind is I already ran out of tool holders for my AXA qctp.

Finally fixed/set up my grinder to grind cutting tools.

I have an 11x24" Powermatic / Logan which is roughly similar to a South Bend Heavy 10.

Having lived with this lathe for a few years, I have gained an appreciation for the import 12x36" lathes. Personally I think anybody looking at a "small" lathe over 24" between centers should re-evaluate and give some good consideration to buying a full featured 12x36".

The space saved is minimal (typically less than 12") and while the weight is greater for a 12x36, no 30" lathe is going to be remotely portable, so moving is a one time challenge.

Used the 12x36" lathes often cost about the same, and sometimes less (particularly compared to a SB Heavy 10 which often commands a premium price), and they have more features than all but the best smaller lathes.

Those large bore 8-9" imports are kind of a special case if they worked, but the quality control is a major consideration.

I personally lean into the vintage lathe side, but there are good arguments for buying new and buying old.

I have an 11x24" Powermatic / Logan which is roughly similar to a South Bend Heavy 10.

Having lived with this lathe for a few years, I have gained an appreciation for the import 12x36" lathes. Personally I think anybody looking at a "small" lathe over 24" between centers should re-evaluate and give some good consideration to buying a full featured 12x36".

The space saved is minimal (typically less than 12") and while the weight is greater for a 12x36, no 30" lathe is going to be remotely portable, so moving is a one time challenge.

Used the 12x36" lathes often cost about the same, and sometimes less (particularly compared to a SB Heavy 10 which often commands a premium price), and they have more features than all but the best smaller lathes.

Those large bore 8-9" imports are kind of a special case if they worked, but the quality control is a major consideration.

I personally lean into the vintage lathe side, but there are good arguments for buying new and buying old.
I have a Taiwan built 12x36 (my avatar) that I bought for $800. Sure, I had to put a little work into it like switching to a 3 phase motor. I also had to keep an eye out and be ready to buy when it became available (took off from work that day).

John

I have a PM1236 which I like very well, its a good serviceable machine, it is a Chinese machine and the gear box(s) tend to be a bit chunky; but, I am not shifting on the fly so I take a minute and make certain its in gear solidly and it works great.

I have a Taiwan built 12x36 (my avatar) that I bought for $800. Sure, I had to put a little work into it like switching to a 3 phase motor. I also had to keep an eye out and be ready to buy when it became available (took off from work that day).

John
yes that is what i learned

Back