Looking at buying new Pm-949tv need help.

cv1911

Registered
Registered
Hello,
I am new to posting anything so please forgive me if I do something wrong.
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new PM-949tv and would like some insight from the people that have owned one. How is the mill holding up? Is it accurate? Would you buy it again. Pros and cons? Does the machine meet the specs listed like spindle runout ? I do not have access to one to physically try it out and look it over so I am relying on your input.
Thank you in advance.

congrats on your choice. Her is a review by a 3rd party, for what it is worth...

Last edited:
I sent you a DM.

I am very pleased with mine. All parts of the research / selection / purchase (+ addons) / shipping / setup / operation were perfect for me. I think I got mine somewhere in the 2017-2019 range. I'm just a hobby guy (like most / all of us), but it has never broken a sweat in anything I've thrown at it. I love using this machine. I can try to answer specific Qs if you have any. Oh - yes, I would buy it again, exactly the same, if I did it over again. Yes, accurate, yes within specs. Only con I can think of is: do you have the space for it (I do - lots of room). Mr. Best is a far better machinist than I'll ever be & has very deep knowledge - I would recommend lending weight to his DM to you.

Why send a DM, and not reply to the post on the forum?
Because it includes information that people have asked to keep off public forums for fear of spamming - like their names and phone numbers.

Sounds a bit odd, he is asking for opinions on the machines, not names and phone numbers of people posted on a forum. Sending a DM or posting that you are sending a DM doesn't do much for others looking at these posts in the future for help, that isn't really the point of a public forum. And why would you be sending contact info of others, I am just a bit confused. If there is some sort of issue that I am missing here, we should be contacted about it, correct? Maybe I am completely missing something but it just seems off.

One of my friends bought a PL1054 mill and had it shipped to Edmonton, Alberta. His experience is documented here:

[update - the first link here was the followup thread the one below details the purchase]

I own the 945tv, also using the same head. Our experience has been a very good one. The only difference between the 1054 an the 935 is the foot casting and the knee casting. I can put you touch by phone with the poster above or you can phone me directly to discuss our experience with PM.

Last edited:
And Dabbler reminds me that the 949's column is angled / slanted (it's a pyramid) - which made for an EXCELLENT first-ever machining project to mount the DRO. I came up with a pretty cool solution (I think) - it was that first "HOLY CRAP I CAN DO THIS!" moment. :)

And Dabbler reminds me that the 949's column is angled / slanted (it's a pyramid) - which made for an EXCELLENT first-ever machining project to mount the DRO. I came up with a pretty cool solution (I think) - it was that first "HOLY CRAP I CAN DO THIS!" moment. :)
Thanks for the input. So you have a 949? I would love to see your solution for the dro. You had mentioned you were pleased with your set up. Did you go with a VFD? What type of DRO? I was thinking single phase 949tv but to make it easy but didn’t know if going with a VFD would be better.

Back