Looking at buying new Pm-949tv need help.

I would strongly advocate for a 3-phase TS model and add an aftermarket VFD. The VFD is far more convenient to use, and has a much wider range than the reeves drive. You don't sacrifice enough torque to notice. Mind You I don't use 12" diameter fly cutters, either... I can go down to 60 RPM with mine without needing to go into back gear.

I have also heard that the 3ph TS is the way to go for all the reasons Dabbler mentioned. I went 949 TV 3ph. I'll snap some pics of my VFD / DRO setup / etc. tomorrow. I wasn't sure about this whole ... "VFD" thing at the time... vs what I knew about 3ph converters (which I use for my surface grinder & lathe), so I went the TV route in case I ended up using a phase converter instead. To be clear - the TV / Reeves has ben trouble free, and the VFD is THE way to go (for this machine, IMO).

I took some pics - just need to find some time to post - haven't forgotten about you.

I had a 935, but it is the same head as that used on the 949.

I bought the TS for several reasons:

Reeves drives are heavy, noisy (somewhat), and expensive to repair.

The step pulley head is simpler, quieter, and cheaper to repair.

I put a VFD (same one as was on my 1340GT) on it and built a simple control box to replace the factory switch.

Very quiet. The soft start is nice as it reduces wear and tear on the mechanicals. I disabled the electronic braking and just used the mechanical brake on the head.

Just my comments/opinions on this, and YMMV and all that. :)

OK - let's try this (haven't posted pics before...).
1705530960048.png

This is the top of the Z axis DRO scale mount. The column is a pyramid, so I have 2 1/2" AL squares with 4 setscrews each to act as jacking screws / leveling feet. This allows me to overcome the... pyramid-ness of the column. I swept it with an indicator & tuned it to be plumb (the scale itself, under the chip shield).

This is the VFD and controls / cabinet / etc. that you will need to build (or something like it) if you go 3PH. This took me a while to do - slowly & methodically after work & on weekends.

1705531170268.png

This is the VFD I used. I found the instructions to be fine & had no problem working through the steps to setup & do the auto-tune & all that. I know many folks use another brand (just search for all of MKJS's posts), but this one also has some users here (which is where I got the idea). I've liked this one & would buy / use this one again.

1705531396292.png

This is the VFD and controls / cabinet/ etc. that you will need to build (or something like it) if you go 3PH. This took me a while to do - slowly & methodically after work & on weekends.

View attachment 474702
Wow that’s a lot more things in the cabinet than I thought. I just assumed you would use the VFD out put to provide power to the mill. I have a kbac-27d VFD feeding a 2hp motor on a 2x72 belt grinder I built with nothing else added on. What are the extra components in the cabinet? I am sure an E switch and power switch. Do you have a tachometer?

You can do a LOT of fun things once you head down the VFD path. My system includes several things in addition to variable speed. Here are a few:
  1. A proximity sensor detects when the back-gear is engaged and automatically reverses the normal spindle direction.
  2. Another proximity sensor detects when the adjustable downfeed limit has been reached and will automatically reverse the spindle direction which is very handy when power tapping.
  3. The spindle includes a ring light and four magnets that are sensed for the tachometer display.
  4. The upper control box includes the RPM display and momentary push-button switches for forward and reverse that drive the VFD at jog-speed which are also very handy for power tapping.
  5. And coolant on/off can be synchronized with the spindle motor on/off.
You can see some detail of this install (the controls were designed and made by Mark Jacobs @mksj) and it has made the mill so much more fun to run and get the feeds/speeds dialed in.

Wow that’s a lot more things in the cabinet than I thought. I just assumed you would use the VFD out put to provide power to the mill. I have a kbac-27d VFD feeding a 2hp motor on a 2x72 belt grinder I built with nothing else added on. What are the extra components in the cabinet? I am sure an E switch and power switch. Do you have a tachometer?

I went the simple route. I wired the VFD between the A/C coming in, and the motor. I made a small box that housed an on/off fwd/rev switch, a speed pot, and a e-stop/power light that I put on the head to replace the original switch. I mounted the VFD inside the base.

6E610AF1-F516-4DB9-A50C-B445C2C1C839.jpeg

Back