Looking at this Bridgeport that is FAR away

This one looks like it is still available. Seems like folks like this model. Anything jump out at you from the pics?
Laguns are damn fine mills, much stouter than a BP. The only thing I can tell from that pic is that it doesn't have power feed for the table. Definitely something you'd want to add.

Interesting... good to know. This one is 45 mins from me. Will reach out to the seller to see what kind of condition it is in. Is it worth the asking price if it is in good shape?

Interesting... good to know. This one is 45 mins from me. Will reach out to the seller to see what kind of condition it is in. Is it worth the asking price if it is in good shape?
Yes, that's in the typical asking range. So much depends on location and availability.
Been on the market 4 months, should be negotiable.

Last edited:
A plus for that Lagun FT-1S is also that it is a pulley head which is more desirable when using a VFD, if using an RPC then a Reeves drive is more preferable. Looks to be in good condition and 1/2 the price of the BP previously posted. Price is about what I would expect for this model if it is in good condition. Agree on the addition of a power feed on the X and Z, really make it much easier to use. Good find.

The location corresponds to pricing too. I'm on the west coast, but for reference, last year, I bought a Lagun FT-2S - similar but bigger than this one. Mine was in very good condition, had a servo power feed on the X-axis, and came with a Kurt vise. The shop asked $3K, and I got it for $2.5. I love it, and if I believed in overkill, this one would qualify :grin:

Awesome, thanks everyone! Will wait for the seller to get back to me with details - he confirmed it is still available. Anything specific to look at on the Lagun vs BP or just the standard stuff? Any problem areas? I've read the parts are "expensive"

Awesome, thanks everyone! Will wait for the seller to get back to me with details - he confirmed it is still available. Anything specific to look at on the Lagun vs BP or just the standard stuff? Any problem areas? I've read the parts are "expensive"
Expensive is an understatement, but they are solid. I haven't had to replace anything, so I haven't checked for 3rd party parts compatibility. Mine wasn't under power when I bought it, but it came from a *****in machine shop. The owner gave me a tour of it and answered all my questions, and I believed him when he said I was buying a good machine. I had a VFD on my last mill, BP clone, and it worked great. I opted for Phase Perfect this time. Expensive, but I am very happy with it.

I contacted Lagun and said the serial # doesn't match the pictures - could be an honest mistake. Pictures show a FT-2 (not FT-1S) from the early '80s (they thought 1982) and agreed it looked to be in good shape from the pics and suspected it was not a production machine since it had no X power feed. Going to try and take a peek at it... where am I going to put this thing... lol

Ok, I went up to look at the machine today. It says pretty clearly on the side that it is a FT-1S. I recorded the correct serial number and will send that to Lagun for confirmation. Overall, seems to be in decent shape. Seller said it was fairly gently used, and not very often. The spindle is super quiet

Couple questions:
1. It is not in a well-lit location, but there *might* be some *very light* surface rust on the ways - could also just be dirty. Seller says it hasn't been used for a few years. Is that cause for concern?
2. Turning the X axis handle on the left side does not result in the table moving. The right side X axis handle seems to move the table just fine and it feels like there is relatively minimal backlash. Any idea what might be causing that?

Seller seems pretty firm at $3500... feels like a good deal even if there are a couple of minor issues.

Thoughts?

- Joe

Ok, I went up to look at the machine today. It says pretty clearly on the side that it is a FT-1S. I recorded the correct serial number and will send that to Lagun for confirmation. Overall, seems to be in decent shape. Seller said it was fairly gently used, and not very often. The spindle is super quiet

Couple questions:
1. It is not in a well-lit location, but there *might* be some *very light* surface rust on the ways - could also just be dirty. Seller says it hasn't been used for a few years. Is that cause for concern?
2. Turning the X axis handle on the left side does not result in the table moving. The right side X axis handle seems to move the table just fine and it feels like there is relatively minimal backlash. Any idea what might be causing that?

Seller seems pretty firm at $3500... feels like a good deal even if there are a couple of minor issues.

Thoughts?

- Joe
Surface rust, meaning it hasn't gotten to the point of causing pitting wouldn't worry me. I'm not familiar with that machine, but most mills have a keyed shaft and the crank handle engages that key. Someone may have removed the key so that handle wouldn't rotate when they turned the handle on the right side. I've seen the handle removed entirely for the same reason. I don't think it's a deal-breaker at all.

Considering your local supply I'd say that price sounds reasonable based on your comments.

Back