Looking at this Bridgeport that is FAR away

Long day at work...
I believe that @jwmelvin highlighted most of what I regard as more rigidity. When I owned my PM833T, the power of the machine was never an issue. It would cut what I needed to cut without too much complaint. However, vibration and chatter were sometimes apparent, especially when the gibs weren't snug or the Z-axis wasn't locked down. Of course, locking and unlocking the Z-axis inevitably introduced errors to the setup, which was frustrating. The 833T does weigh near 1000 lbs, so it's not exactly a "light" benchtop mill.
Contrast that to my Sharp mill that weighs somewhere around 3500lbs. Mine has a 2-axis CNC system, so it is closer to 4000 lbs. The difference was astounding when I installed an end mill and made my first cut on the Sharp knee mill. It is hard to quantify in a post on the internet, but I knew right away that I had made a good decision. Smooth. Precise. Quieter. Robust. It is just a world of difference IMHO. That being said, my mill has some wear and there are a few things I need to fix, but now that I know what it is like to have that mass, I wouldn't go back.

Just my 1.5 cents (inflation ya know)
Understood, I just looked the PM833T up, for some reason I had thought that was one of the small knee mills, I understand where you are coming from now. I have a PM940V and it weights around 1300 pound but the head is very heavy and I do not see some of the issues others are having, its not perfect but its what I expected for what I paid and I like it.

1705680117777.png

Reactions: tjb
As far as asking someone here to check it out for me, I am brand new here and I don't think I've earned enough "street credit" for that type of ask, but it was a great idea :)
Many of us here are only too willing to help someone else spend their money. Besides, when you go to look at a piece of equipment you will likely find someone interesting who has other stuff for sale.

Anyone know anything about the Manford 2V or the KENT Model KTM-380? I found these used, locally, from a broker/reseller but I don't know anything about these brands.

This local company comes highly recommended from a friend in the area that has purchased stuff from them in the past.
I have a Kent KTM-2S. Without the markings I couldn't tell it from a BP.

Just saw this near me . This is a STEAL !

This one looks like it is still available. Seems like folks like this model. Anything jump out at you from the pics?

Back