Looking for a Budget Mill

That looks to me to be a deal. VFD/Static converter installation is easy, heck if I can do it anyone can.
Quill parts won't be hard to find and in regards to the DRO I'll betcha it's the head unit.
That can be replace with a TouchDRO setup.

Let's see; $1750 for the Mill; $75 for the converter; $200 for the DRO, and ?? for the Quill repair(s). So I'd be up to $2100 plus hiring a shipper. I'm needed a few months to gather the funds. I suppose I could try and negotiate the price a little and hire someone to care for my wife while I traveled to pick it up (if it's still available) AND then rely on good help from members on this site.
About talked myself into doing it.

Fella still has the Mill and he said he's firm on the price. I inquired about the Quill and he sent pics which are Greek to me in respect to what needs/parts are required to make it whole again.

Attachments

• Quill.jpg
    Quill.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Quill2.jpg
    Quill2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Quill 3.jpeg
    Quill 3.jpeg
    444.6 KB · Views: 24
I see broken parts in the photos, that would make me leery of buying without physically going to see the machine.

If you have the room a BP is no doubt a better machine so not trying to dismiss the idea. In favor of the smaller mills, an RF31 clone or similar size mill, is a 2 guys and a small pickup truck job. One guy and a pickup or medium SUV would be harder but it can be done. An engine hoist is nice but not required. I had help loading my Clausing 8520, but transport, unloading and setting it up in my basement I did by myself with an engine hoist and a stout cart.

A BP really needs a couple of somewhat experienced people, and a trailer. A forklift at each end is very handy. Getting it into a basement shop would be an adventure.

Capt45, Wish we were closer I have an Enco 105-1117 and an RF 31; one of them should go. As has been said about round columns they do get the job done. This site has a group of round column machinists that are second to none and they are willing to help. Good points have been brought up by people that I regard as "experts" and I agree that it is a matter of time to find the right machine. I prefer the 4" vise to the 6" (I have both) simply due to size and weight. The RF 31 table has slightly larger "Tee" nuts than the Enco and I believe the overall weight of the RF 31 is greater but essentially they have the same foot print with respect to space in the shop and tooling requirements. Good luck in finding a mill.
Have a good day
Ray

Bear in mind that neither the quill feed nor dro are essential.

Bear in mind that neither the quill feed nor dro are essential.
Yessir, I understand that point. However, I'd still like to know what needs to be fixed/replaced. Can you tell from the pics whats missing or broken?

If you have the room a BP is no doubt a better machine so not trying to dismiss the idea. In favor of the smaller mills, an RF31 clone or similar size mill, is a 2 guys and a small pickup truck job. One guy and a pickup or medium SUV would be harder but it can be done. An engine hoist is nice but not required. I had help loading my Clausing 8520, but transport, unloading and setting it up in my basement I did by myself with an engine hoist and a stout cart.

A BP really needs a couple of somewhat experienced people, and a trailer. A forklift at each end is very handy. Getting it into a basement shop would be an adventure.

Or one guy and a small pickup truck.
I just dismantled it into smaller pieces I could manage.
Not easy but doable.
2d1e7682548b04ed78542da79dcae4d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yessir, I understand that point. However, I'd still like to know what needs to be fixed/replaced. Can you tell from the pics whats missing or broken?

Looks like the lever is missing and the actuating plunger is damaged. These pictures are from my Kent, which is also a BP clone. I'm starting to think that you may not need parts specifically for an Enco. How that particular plunger could have been damaged is an interesting question.

WP_20200217_16_38_52_Pro[1].jpgWP_20200217_16_38_27_Pro[1].jpg

Back