Looking for a Budget Mill

That Tulsa ad has been around for a while. I saw it last year.

I've been looking for sometime now for a budget mill ($1500~$1800) and I've come to the conclusion that a budget Mill will probably be all I could afford or utilize to maximum benefit. I know lots of folks, hobbists included tend to stay away from the round column Mills but I've been smitten by the Central Machinery 33686 Mill. Anybody have this mill and could offer any insights?

I had one of those for 15 years and loved it. I used it for 15 Years and then sold it for what I paid when I decided to get a used Bridgeport. You won't need to keep it forever and it will be an education while you have it. It does have the issue of losing registration if you raise the head, but there are work-arounds, and it's really not a big deal. It has an R8 spindle so any tooling you buy will work on a Bridgeport (or clone) if you were ever to upgrade later.

Tramming the head can only be accomplished with shimming but that's not a big deal either. I put a nice DRO Pro's on it. Don't go any bigger than a 5in vise (4in is probably better). The table has good travel (better than 19in on the x-axis). I used it on 115V but it has a 220V option.

If you can get it with a 20% coupon you can spend the savings on tooling. Look up "RF30" and "RF31" on Google and Youtube.

It's big and heavy, about 750lbs if I remember correctly so you'll need help moving it in but well within the capacity of the typical engine hoist. I made a table from 4x4 and plywood. I can send pictures later if you'd like.

I'd love to get a RF30 or 31, but USED in this area are around $2000. I'm not in as much a hurry to get the mill now that I switched back to my Power Matic 3520 to turn Duck Calls.

I'm confused (again)... If Harbor Freight sells it for $1200 before the 20% coupon, how are people selling them used for $2000? I don't think the HF ones are made in Taiwan by Rong Fu actual anymore, but still.

Some vendors sell these mill/drills for $2500 (Production Tool, Jet, etc)

My local tool dealer has a RF clone for $2300. I’ve seen some and the quality is pretty good.
Not as good as the 80’s vintage Taiwanese Long Chang LC-30A that I managed to find but still decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm confused (again)... If Harbor Freight sells it for $1200 before the 20% coupon, how are people selling them used for $2000? I don't think the HF ones are made in Taiwan by Rong Fu actual anymore, but still.
Re-read the comment about the RF30~31. IT"S the mill selling for $2000 used, not the HF one.

Re-read the comment about the RF30~31. IT"S the mill selling for $2000 used, not the HF one.
I have the HF 33686. It looks identical to the RF30 to me. What's the difference between the two machines?

Back