Looking for a way to boost the Wi-Fi signal when using the RV

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Those of you that travel and stay at RV parks know the problem.
We are so dependent on our devices for entertainment and communication while traveling we need a way to stay connected.
It seems most parks are very limited in their Wi-Fi service.
Is there a way to improve the quality of the park’s service?
Thanks for your advice.
Jeff

You could try putting a directional antenna on the roof. Or an outdoor AP in client mode. Then run the cable inside and connect to a normal wifi AP for your RV.

I spent over 10 years living on my sailboat and had the same problem. I first used a little hawking (sp?) dish. It was very powerful but as my sailboat moved I would have to constantly re aim the dish. It also turned out to be not very water resistant and gave up the ghost after one too many rain showers. I then went to a 360 degree 9db antenna I got off Ebay connected with a small coax cable to an Alfa long range wifi adapter model AWUS036NH . With both of these antennas I was able to pick up wifi signals as far as 2 miles away from the boat. Here's the antenna mounted on the stern of my boat.

IMG_3425.JPG

This is an option. I think about little less than $150.

Alfa WiFi Camp Pro 2 v2 long range Wi-Fi repeater kit - R36A/Tube-(U)N/AOA-2409-TF antenna

Alfa WiFi Camp Pro 2 v2 long range Wi-Fi repeater kit - R36A/Tube-(U)N/AOA-2409-TF antenna

Alfa WiFi Camp Pro 2 v2 long range Wi-Fi repeater kit - R36A/Tube-(U)N/AOA-2409-TF antenna Alfa WiFi Camp Pro 2 v2 long range Wi-Fi repeater kit - R36A/Tube-(U)N/AOA-2409-TF antenna Alfa WiFi Camp Pro 2 v2 long range Wi-Fi repeater kit - R36A/Tube-(U)N/AOA-2409-TF antenna Alfa WiFi Camp Pro 2 v2 long range Wi-Fi repeater kit - R36A/Tube-(U)N/AOA-2409-TF antenna Alfa WiFi Camp Pro 2 v2 long range Wi-Fi repeater kit - R36A/Tube-(U)N/AOA-2409-TF antenna Alfa WiFi Camp Pro 2 v2 long range Wi-Fi repeater kit - R36A/Tube-(U)N/AOA-2409-TF antenna Alfa WiFi Camp Pro 2 v2 long range Wi-Fi repeater kit - R36A/Tube-(U)N/AOA-2409-TF antenna Alfa WiFi Camp Pro 2 v2 long range Wi-Fi repeater kit - R36A/Tube-(U)N/AOA-2409-TF antenna

$139.97

Quantity

U.S. buyers- order within 0 hours, 19 minutes and choose FedEx 2 Day at checkout for delivery by 06/24 (Wednesday).

See more: Electronics > Networking

Tags: access point alfa feed feed2 router rp-sma

Share:

I spent over 10 years living on my sailboat and had the same problem. I first used a little hawking (sp?) dish. It was very powerful but as my sailboat moved I would have to constantly re aim the dish. It also turned out to be not very water resistant and gave up the ghost after one too many rain showers. I then went to a 360 degree 9db antenna I got off Ebay connected with a small coax cable to an Alfa long range wifi adapter model AWUS036NH . With both of these antennas I was able to pick up wifi signals as far as 2 miles away from the boat. Here's the antenna mounted on the stern of my boat.

View attachment 328376

10 years? :p :clapping:

I'm a power boater but know when to tip my cap. I've lived on the water for short periods of time and cherished those moments.

If using usb cables you have to be careful on how long the usb cable is. After a certain length ( I forget how long) the signal degrades unless you have a special booster cable.

Long term living on a boat is an entirely different lifestyle. Especially when you aren't at a dock. I went for one 4 year stretch where I was only at a dock for a couple of days each year. The rest of the time I was anchored out. You become very careful with energy usage and water. Solar panels solved all of me electrical needs. Water makers were beyond my finances. So I had to haul all of my water. If I used the pressure water system my 80 gallon water tank might last 2 weeks. Using only the foot pump in the galley I could go 2 months on the 80 gallon tank. I used salt water whenever I could. Mostly for flushing the toilet. How much water do you need to take a shower? 11 cups dispensed from a 1 gallon garden sprayer.

I had come back to California and was living aboard in San Diego. I had decided to take off again. Spend winters someplace warm and then come back to a cabin in Sierras for the summer. Boat would be hauled out for hurricane season. That all changed when my elderly mother needed a place to live. Plans changed. Mom's 101 and will turn 102 in August. If it hadn't been for mom's needs I would never have gotten into this machining madness. I would be living out on the hook somewhere.

Life was good and the living was easy. Life is still good but the living isn't quite as easy as on the boat.

I have an alpha unit too. I have smaller antenna not large pole mounted variety. Not the fastest or most reliable (when stationary, I have to reboot every couple days) but it does work.

These alpha systems are 2.4 GHz (in and out) band units which is crowded but longer range than most 5 GHz band units. This seems to be an old product and last firmware dates to 2017 so maybe not the safest either.

There are some Beam forming units which can accept 2.4 or 5Ghz networks and then broadcast in 5Ghz which can reduce network pollution and take advantage of speed of 5 GHz band. For the real tech saavy DD-WRT open source firmware can give you some performance boost too. If I was to buy today, I'd at least research a newer / updated unit. Linksys is one brand to consider.

Back