Looking for advice on a new mill

I moved from a Rong Fu 45 benchtop mill (the real original) to a PM935 baby knee mill last year. This was the second machine I purchased from PM (the other being a PM1340GT lathe in 2017). I strongly advise you buy the versions made in Taiwan if at all possible. PM has supported me well with prompt post-sales support and replacement parts directly from the factory when required. Terrific organization to deal with. I have needed replacement parts for both machines, so don't expect perfection from any equipment from Asian sources, although the Taiwan equipment is superior to the mainland China equivalents. I'd be happy to converse with you in private messages if you'd like about my experience moving from benchtop to knee mill. Pretty much everything I have done with my PM935 is documented HERE. If I were to make this purchase again, I would opt for the PM949TS to get the additional rigidity that comes with 1000 extra pounds. I would encourage you to consider the 949T over the 950 since the former is made in Taiwan.

Per what David and others have recommended. I looked at different knee mills moving up from a bencth op, there is a significant quality difference in new Taiwanese machinery. I looked at the used knee mill market at the time, and there were some decent Lagun mills, but they needed repairs and parts were expensive. A heavier milling machine will be a noticeable improvement in rigidity. I also recommend the larger table of a 9x49 or 10x50 so you can have multiple vises/fixtures on the table for some operations. Price wise, the cost of the Taiwanese machines is closer to the similar mainland China machines due to the tariffs, doesn't pay to compromise at this spend level.

Thank you ALL for your input, and the extra effort and offers to help me make an informed decision ,it really helped. I decided to go with the PM949-TV and just order the DRO and... extra, will probably make the call this morning when they open. Again I appreciate your help.
Scott

One more idea. The TV version uses a Reeves mechanical system to vary the speed. Instead of that, you might consider a 3-phase motor and putting a VFD on in place of the on/off switch. Doesn't have to be anything complex. Here's an example where I replaced the same on/off switch that's on the 949 with a simple VFD and got variable speed without the longer term hassles if the Reeves drive ever needs maintenance.

IMG_E9115.jpg

Here's one example of why I make this suggestion - worth watching:

One more idea. The TV version uses a Reeves mechanical system to vary the speed. Instead of that, you might consider a 3-phase motor and putting a VFD on in place of the on/off switch. Doesn't have to be anything complex. Here's an example where I replaced the same on/off switch that's on the 949 with a simple VFD and got variable speed without the longer term hassles if the Reeves drive ever needs maintenance.

davidpbest, thanks for sharing. It's not so simple to find those equipment in the perfect state. Usually people purchase already used heavy equipment, which has a lot of flaws. Only reviews from other people can help with useful source to find really working mechanical systems, and advises as well.

Last edited:
davidpbest, thanks for sharing. It's not so simple to find those equipment in the perfect state. Usually people purchase already used heavy equipment, which has a lot of flaws. Only reviews from other people can help with useful source to find really working mechanical systems, and advises as well.
I'm totally confused. The OP was looking at buying a new machine.

I bought my first mill in September of this year and my first lathe a few months after that, both from PM. I recommend PM 100%.

I was not able to afford the Taiwanese models at this time. I hope to go larger and Taiwanese down the road. I am quite sure that I will purchase those machines from PM, as well.

Back