Looking for help on my Clausing 5913 lathe

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I will soon be re cutting the vee ways on the carriage of my Clausing 5913 lathe. I have tried several methods of measuring the angle of the VEEs on the bed of the lathe and my eyes are so bad and my hands so shaky don't trust my methods of measurement. It looks like 55 degrees but just not sure. Does anyone know what the angle is or how to determine it. Thanks. I may be calling Clausing and see if I can coax them to tell me. They are not good at sending dimensions just service literature. TIA

I’ll be doing this someday to my 13-36 mark1 and here’s how I see it.

As long as the saddle and the bed rhyme it really does not matter.

You are dressing the bed, correct?

I’ll be doing this someday to my 13-36 mark1 and here’s how I see it.

As long as the saddle and the bed rhyme it really does not matter.

You are dressing the bed, correct?
I want to make the saddle rhyme with the bed. If you mean, am I having the bed ground the answer is no. If you mean, am I going to stone any burs off the bed, then yes. The bed ways on my 5913 are flame hardened so the majority of the wear is in the saddle. I will use either Turcite b or Mogliece to replace any loss due to re cutting the saddle. Depending on the advice of the Moglice/Turcite vendor.

The ways on my 5914 Clausing (same series) are 70* included angle. I made an indicator holder that clamped down on the Vee using that angle so it appears to be correct.

Here is an example of a suitable cutter:

Note that although hardened you will often have some wear in the bed on these machines, especially near the chuck. I have to measure mine at some point, but I think there may be 0.002" or so wear, tends to cut tapers around 0.0005" over a couple of inches. You might want to check into this too.

Last edited:
The ways on my 5914 Clausing (same series) are 70* included angle. I made an indicator holder that clamped down on the Vee using that angle so it appears to be correct.

Here is an example of a suitable cutter:

Note that although hardened you will often have some wear in the bed on these machines, especially near the chuck. I have to measure mine at some point, but I think there may be 0.002" or so wear, tends to cut tapers around 0.0005" over a couple of inches. You might want to check into this too.
Yes, mine also has as you said about .002 up close to the chuck. I'm not expecting as new results with mine when I am complete just a good shop grade Hobby lathe. The 70 degrees sounds about right. I may check into getting one of the 70-degree end mills. Sure, would save a great amount of set up time. I already have 90- and 60-degree carbide mill cutters. Thanks for your rapid reply. Not many of us left with the 5912-5914 Clausings. I said mine is a 5913ish because that is what is on the bed plate, but it has a 2 hp 3 phase motor on it. The 5913's had a single phase 1 1/2 hp motor on them from the factory.

Not many of us left with the 5912-5914 Clausings.
Nice machines ! :encourage: I owned a 5917 and passed it on to one of our members .

machpete99, you nailed it and saved my bacon. I will order the 70-degree cutter tonight. The link you sent is the only place I could find a 70degree. Everybody has got 60 and 90 but no 70. This will make my life so much easier. You can see how I had to clamp the protractor to the saddle to hold it still enough to get an accurate measurement. I have all kinds of super accurate protractors but if you can't hold them or read them you sometimes, I have to use Redneck ways. my guessometer got me in trouble again this week. I ordered some 1/4" NPT fittings and tonight I pulled the fitting out of the cylinder and was going to replace it with the parts I bought and it is 1/8" NPT. But hey that is why I have a Hobby Machine Shop .. I tried to blame it on Snuggles but she had an alibi. She was "Out chasing Grasshoppers when I did it. "

Attachments

• IMG_1719.JPG
    IMG_1719.JPG
    410 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1724.JPG
    IMG_1724.JPG
    595.9 KB · Views: 9
The 5900 Clausing sales flyer that I have also states that the ways are 70* so we have some confirmation.
Let us know how your project works out!

Last edited:
The 5900 Clausing sales flyer that I have also states that the ways are 70* so we have some confirmation.
Let us know how your project works out!
I surely will. I ordered the cutter last night before I went to bed.

I have experience with the 6900 series. Have not noticed any wear to the bed. BUT, the bed will sag over the years! And IMHO doing any work to the saddle will not correct a taper cut. The saddle will just ride/follow the sag and cut a taper. You will need to re-grind the bed. And then probably lose the flame harden properties. Maybe best to leave it alone and live with it and have a file and emery paper handy if needed for the taper removal LOL. Get a high-resolution level and take readings up and down the bed on the non-wear surfaces. This should indicate a sag if any...Good Luck

Back