Looking for help on my Clausing 5913 lathe

I have experience with the 6900 series. Have not noticed any wear to the bed. BUT, the bed will sag over the years! And IMHO doing any work to the saddle will not correct a taper cut. The saddle will just ride/follow the sag and cut a taper. You will need to re-grind the bed. And then probably lose the flame harden properties. Maybe best to leave it alone and live with it and have a file and emery paper handy if needed for the taper removal LOL. Get a high-resolution level and take readings up and down the bed on the non-wear surfaces. This should indicate a sag if any...Good Luck

It’s not sag, it is wear. The ways get a belly worn into them over time.

My 13-36 has visually noticeable wean and works fine for short parts, but grinding the bed is on the list for some rainy day.

As to the flame hardening, if it’s not a production machine it likely will not matter.

It’s not sag, it is wear. The ways get a belly worn into them over time.

My 13-36 has visually noticeable wean and works fine for short parts, but grinding the bed is on the list for some rainy day.

As to the flame hardening, if it’s not a production machine it likely will not matter.
Whatever you say is your prerogative. I used a level (pic below) and my findings for bed condition on the lathe I mentioned had a sag and was not noticeable wear. And yes, you would normally expect to see bed wear near the headstock. But maybe the flame hardening has done some good. Not sure about Clausings' selection of cast iron or it’s aging process before manufacturing.

Attachments

• level.JPG
    level.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 4
Back