LOOKING FOR PROJECT SUGGESTIONS

Hey River

Check out this great project for the mill and lathe.
And because you a member here if you enter the word "ten" at checkout you get 10% off your entire order.

Regards D. G.
already made one aka Mrpete on youtube but can always make a spare >>>>>>>>thanx anyway

Last edited:
hey folks thought Id share some of the sickness ive turned out over the past 18 months not too mention countless model airplane spinners and intake venturis. also many nuts/bolts etc. no formal training just a "drive to make something and be productive in these later years

those hex drivers in the box with knurled ends are a breeze to make, try one..........

Attachments

• 100_3821.JPG
    100_3821.JPG
    560.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 100_3822.JPG
    100_3822.JPG
    698.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
This is a nice thread. I’ve got a few things I want to build, but not loads. I’ll keep an eye on this thread for ideas. I also looked at ClickSprings YouTube channel at his ‘Home made tools’ playlist. There’s a bunch of stuff on there I’d like to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm afraid the staggering backlog of projects that I'm confronting is totally self-inflicted. Comes a time ( 71now) That you begin to realize that there is no way in hell you are ever going to complete them all before you shuffle off this mortal coil. Just keeping up with the maintenance of what I have up and running, along with property and buildings I still own, can be daunting. After many a sleepless night worrying about it, I have come to the conclusion that it is time to do some serious thinning of the herd. When you have spent most of your life putting in long hours, and acquiring all the things you think you need, you finally come to the realization that you are not going to live forever, and that it might be nice to have the occasional day off. Not that I will ever be good at just sitting around, but the body is definitely starting to say, whoa up there son. Mike
Oh jeez, I'm only 63 and have an extensive backlog.

I made a rotary broach just in case I ever needed it. Still waiting.
so much of the original backlog was tools to make tools. The rotary broach was superseded by a ball turner for the lathe, a squeeze knurler, restore my old screw press to broach with, new stand for my arbor press/vise, sheet metal hood for my powder coat booth. Every one of those was proceeded by making or modding the machines to do each project. I describe it to my wife as I don't get to go from A to B. I have to go back around through Z to get to B.

Take a look at this site. They have lots of machinable models from excellent quality castings.

I did a PM#6 Steam engine. Such a fun project.

Take a look at this site. They have lots of machinable models from excellent quality castings.

Very cool. I’ll have a read through your thread later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thats kinda what Ive been lookin for , hard to believe how they made those parts so small...........if nothing else it gave me some ideas...but one things for sure thier sure proud of thier prices.......

Last edited:
Here are some suggestions that will give you some great practice and result in useful end products:

1. Collet racks - If you don't already have them, sooner or later you'll be acquiring one or more collet sets for your mill. You'll need a place to store them, and making your own racks that will custom fit in your tool box. Simple projects; very geometric; great learning experience.
IMG_1603.JPG

2. Index plate and clamps - This comes in very handy for odd size/shape mill projects - especially if you're using a rotary table (you'll have one sooner or later). Mine is a bit oversized because I made it for a specific project. Doesn't need to be this big. Very functional. One of those kinds of attachments that when you need it, nothing else will do.
IMG_0274.jpg

Tool racks - probably one of the best learning experiences I had early on was making racks for my rolling tool cart that hold just about everything. This is one of those categories of projects where you thoroughly need to think through the project before you start machining. These are very beneficial if you're an organization freak.
IMG_1591.JPGIMG_1597.JPG

I can give you details on any of these, and I'm well aware that there are many members here with way more experience than I have that can throw some wise counsel your way.

Regards,
Terry

Back