Looking for Sanford MG-612 Surface Grinder owners

If its like the one that I,ve seen on a B&S SG, it is filled when it is hinged over, then inverted to feed the bearing.
The problem is, it doesn't seem to want to hinge more than 30 degrees, seems spring loaded. I'll have to look at it more closely....

I can tell you that some Sanfords do not have a spindle oiler, and some do. It may be that some Sanford owners added an oiler on their own. I have not been able to confirm that Sanford ever had a factory installed oiler. My Sanford does not have an oiler.

Here are a couple of links which discuss the topic :

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...uestion-b-s-2-surface-grinder-spindle-217939/
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/looking-for-spindle-oil-replacement.85411/

FWIW - My (very) amateur machinist guess is that you need something like this Mobil Velocite #10.

You can get it in quart size, which for an amateur machinist is probably a lifetime supply.

There is no mention of spindle oilers in any of the Sanford publications I've come across. My 612 was built in 1954 and uses sealed bearings rather than requiring spindle lube. Over the years I'm sure many spindles have been rebuilt. The rebuilders may have chosen to use open bearings and adding a lube system.

Projectnut - I know of two Sanfords with spindle oilers, and they are two different types of oilers. I think you are probably right that Sanfords with oilers are modifications of the original - nothing wrong with that (might even be an improvement).

Reviving this thread. :)

I will be picking up this 1959 MG-612 on Monday. Has a electronic chuck on it.

I have no idea if any of it works, but I got a real steal of a deal (if you ask me, anyway) on it. The joys of HGR Industrial Surplus. LOL.

IMG_0743.jpeg

Congrats on your find. Of course it's always hard to tell for sure just from a picture, but it looks to be in reasonable condition. I hope you will update us on what you find after you take delivery and have a chance to look it over.

I need to figure out the best way to pick it up. HGR is going to load it on my trailer, hopefully in one piece. I'll take the chick and the table off. I figure it's safe to strap it down at that point. Once I get it home, I'm going to have to be creative with an engine hoist. Probably put the hoist on the trailer and lift the grinder off the base. But how to grab the grinder without damaging anything, that'll be the next thing to figure out.

Take a look at my web page - I had similar issues on unloading the grinder.

https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoacademy/machining---lathes-mills-etc/my-surface-grinder

The most important thing I did was unbolt the grinder from the base when I picked it up. That way I was able to get the seller to load the grinder and base separately on my trailer for me (also made for a more stable load). That put the grinder on my trailer low enough for me to get at it with an engine hoist.

I highly recommend that you remove all handwheels before moving as well - they can work loose while the trailer is bouncing around, and then they are gone forever.

In general, un-bolt everything you can (including the motor), remove the table parts, etc. You would likely need to do this anyway when you get it home, so do it before you move it and save yourself some grief. If you can, do all of that before the seller moves it for you.

I've skimmed through your web page. Thanks for putting that together.

Taking it apart on the trailer before heading home is the best idea, I am sure. I have a pretty big trailer - I use it to haul my Jeep. So I think I will put the engine hoist on it and take it with me and disassemble it once they load it. I could probably do most of that before they load it for me, but I don't want to inconvenience these guys too much. If it runs, I practically stole it!

Back