Looking for someone to rebuild my half nuts

wired

Registered
Registered
Im looking for someone to rebuild my half nuts . I have a old Hendey 14x30 and it needs it. Anyone know of a decent half nut guy? I know theres the guy on ebay . Ive asked him a few times but he never gets back to me.

Back in the 70s I had to rebuild the half nuts on a Lehman lathe. I made a fixture to hold the half nuts in what would be their closed position. I attached the fixture to an angle plate and mounted that to the lathe faceplate. Once I had the half nuts running true on the lathe, I removed the half nuts. I preheated them to get rid of all traces of oil. I did the build up using an oxy/acy torch and cast iron rod. After welding, I had the parts normalized so the iron would be machinable. Next, I re-installed the half nuts on the fixture and proceeded to bore and thread them.

Pretty bad. It is an 80 YO lathe. Its getting to be very difficult to thread with.

I was researching how to rebuild half nuts today. McMaster-Carr sells round, Acme threaded nuts.
Many pitches and diameters. Have a look here:

Also found a video where a fellow makes a halfnut from brass. If your half nuts are to the point of usefulness then buying something from McMaster may do the trick.

I was researching how to rebuild half nuts today. McMaster-Carr sells round, Acme threaded nuts.
Many pitches and diameters. Have a look here:

Also found a video where a fellow makes a halfnut from brass. If your half nuts are to the point of usefulness then buying something from McMaster may do the trick.
Unfortunately The Hendey uses a 1 1/8 -7 acme thread

This sounds like an interesting project.

I have the same issue with my Hendey 12x30... I haven't found anyone yet.

I'm fairly sure that I've read somewhere that Hendeyman rebuilds half nuts, but I haven't contacted him yet to ask...

He is active on the P-M forum, if you want to try and contact him...

The cost may be pretty high, though... I'm considering just attempting it myself.

-Bear

I would do it myself if I could find someone to do an internal thread on a piece of bronze stock. Ive determined its 1 1/8 - 6 Acme. I have another lathe but it wont do a 6 thread. After that I can split it myself and do the mill work

Help? I can supply the bronze.

@wired are you sure it is 6TPI? you mentioned 7TPI at some point, and now I'm confused.

I assume you have purchased an ACME thread gauge and checked?

I looked at your past posts and don't know how to gauge your experience level, so please forgive if I'm starting at the bottom basics...

Frankly rather than buy a new lathe for just this operation I'd find a local CNC lathe shop and pay them to make the 6TPI Acme thread and matching nut.

*** Or make change gears to do the work yourself on your own lathe. ***

Last edited:
Back