Looking for someone to rebuild my half nuts

Its 6 TPI. I remeasured it. I do not have a gauge but I did just count out 10 inches and divide the result.

Hendeyman tells me he's got a set of half nuts somewhere but its behind this or that or something. Maybe it will happen.

There is a company in northern Michigan that rebuilds them but don't have any more details. They reground the screw and make a custom nut.

Hendey half nut rebuild. Pulled these out this morning. About to send them off to get rebuilt. One thing I wasnt expecting is that they are solid brass. I think they may be replacements.. On those carriage/apron worm gears I haven't looked closely yet but I'm assuming the backlash is adjustable with those collars?

Attachments

• IMG_1265.jpg
    IMG_1265.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1266.jpg
    IMG_1266.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 31
No, the collars thread down to a shoulder. They have a left hand thread...

To adjust any backlash or play in the worm gears, you have to make a shim to go between the collars and the apron casting.

When you remove the collars, be careful not to lose the little brass circles that go between the set screw and the thread on the worm gear... they are there to prevent the set screw from damaging the threads, and they will probably fall out when the collars are removed.

-Bear

To adjust any backlash or play in the worm gears, you have to make a shim to go between the collars and the apron casting.

When you remove the collars, be careful not to lose the little brass circles that go between the set screw and the thread on the worm gear... they are there to prevent the set screw from damaging the threads, and they will probably fall out when the collars are removed.

-Bear
Looks like it’s time to break out the sunnex transmission parts catalog

-Bear
So I just went out and broke the main carriage drive worm gear retainer loose and it did adjust in to take up slack. No shoulder. I loosened up the cross feed drive worm retainer but it isn't cooperating in moving either way and I'm probably going to have to apply a little heat.

That's interesting... all of my Hendeys have shoulders on the worm gears... what year was yours made?

I have seven... 5 tie bars and 2 12 speed gearheads... with manufacture dates from 1917 to 1944.

-Bear

That's interesting... all of my Hendeys have shoulders on the worm gears... what year was yours made?

I have seven... 5 tie bars and 2 12 speed gearheads... with manufacture dates from 1917 to 1944.

-Bear

1942. 14X30 Definitely adjustable for backlash. The outside adjuster is anyway. The inside isn't.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. I tightened up all the slop in the carriage adjusters and replaced the thrust bearings in the cross slide screw with a roller bearing . New half nut inserts and that thing runs like a new lathe.

Back