Looking for validation/advice on upcoming 12-13" lathe & accessories purchase

I got the PM1236 preferred package, cast stands and the PM BXA master turning/boring tool set. It does everything I need, 36" centers is more than my projects require. So, think about what you want to do and go up one size! I started out wanting a 11x27 LB machine, then I figured a 12x28 was a little nicer. I stopped looking once I wanted a 12x36. This forum can get you spending more and more in no time flat. :eek 2:

I figured the 1236 steps you up to a foot brake, flood coolant, more threading choices etc. Its a nice value in the size. I've been using the PM carbide tooling and so far its been fine. I'm going to try the brand name inserts soon, I've just about worn out the included CCMT.

I pinged the PM guys & my 1340gt should be shipping this week. They were still working on installing the DRO last week.

Ran 10-3 mc cable across the shop today to a junction box. Need to grab a 30@ (2hp) disconnect here in the next few days. Probably get a fused one and put 15@ slow blow fuses in it. Figure 30@ worth of cable would eliminate any voltage drop issues & let me run a mill or CnC router off the same circuit if I get around to one of those next.

Any recommendations for starter HSS tooling? Was thinking about the Grizly 3/8" pre-ground set. I'm sure I'll be able to grind my own, but figure I should start with a pre-ground set for a baseline to learn from. I have the PM carbide insert tooling comming, but hear HSS is going to be a little more forgiving as I re-learn machining stuff, for the little bit I did a few decades ago.

As I can easily move the pallet around, gonna wait until I get it to figure out the tractor & pallet jack vs. engine hoist in place assembly method.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back