Looking for validation/advice on upcoming 12-13" lathe & accessories purchase

You also may considered the PM-1440BV or PM-1440GS, both are close in price, come with cast iron bases, QCTP with holders, 2" spindle bore, etc. If you think you will be doing any larger turning, then these should be in the consideration. Having a 2" spindle bore is a real plus. There is an advantage to 3 phase motors with regard to surface finish, but it seems hit or miss as to with single phase lathes with regard to surface finish problems. Can't really explain why one lathe (same model) will have an issue and not another. Although lathes have historically been fixed speed, which works, you can dial in the sweet spot with a variable speed drive on the fly. I often find there is a narrow optimal speed range when boring or using larger drills.

Matt sells some inexpensive carbide tooling, my suggestion would be to go with his sets (turning, boring, threading) as a starting point, you won't have to be worrying about grinding and learning to profile HSS tooling. The CCMT/CCGT inserts work well enough to get you going. You do not need extreme speeds to use the carbide inserts, it is just that they can be pushed harder than HSS. Just an opinion, but I have been using it for years on my 1340GT and primarily use CCMT/CCGT and WNMG inserts for most of my turning. Once you get comfortable with your lathe, consider getting some better inserts, and maybe some other types/profile of tooling. On the live center, I would look at a CNC or extended point (long nose) live center in particular if you are using CCMT tooling. Standard live center points will interfere the CCMT insert holder on small diameter work.

Leveling feet, most everybody recommends solid metal threaded feet (usually 1/2" thread), they come up on eBay for as little as $7-10 each. Search level mount or leveling mount on eBay, S&W is a common brand. Or find a model number and search by that.

DRO, well high on my list, but then I didn't start out counting dials and revolutions. Between my eyesight and my cognitive ability at counting multiple turns, I would go with a DRO. To be blunt, you can now buy a basic 2 axis DRO with glass scales for about $250 (you want a slim line 1 micron scale on the cross slide), it will save you from a lot of mistakes. Install it yourself and save $$. A lathe you are basically reading numbers, on the mill, the added features of the higher end DRO's is a plus. Next step up would probably be an Easson DRO, like the ES12B or C and will run something like $475 from Aliexpress. Easson are very reliable, but twice the price.

So with either the above machines, basic tooling and DRO, well you are looking at around $5500-6K w/o shipping. Between the PM-1440BV or PM-1440GS, it is more a matter if you want variable speed vs. a more universal gearbox. There have been a number of discussions on these various models.

As I just said in another thread here, get the best quality machine you can afford, then add tooling and extras as you can afford it. Buying a cheap(er) machine just to get a few extras could be something you regret later. IMO of course. :)

I have a PM1340GT and while painful to get at the time, I knew that I was getting a high-quality machine that will outlast me. Nuff said...

Look for a quality used machine with comprehensive tooling. Widen your search radius until you find what you're looking for, instead of having a new import shipped from Taiwan.

It hurts once when you buy an expensive tool, but it hurts every time you use a cheap one... I have a PM1340GT with the DRO & a set of carbide tooling on the way now. Blew my budget a bit, but hopefully this will last me a lifetime. Apparently all the 1236, 1340 & 14" lathes are in stock at the moment so no waiting for mine or anybody else ordering at the moment. Speaking of which, apparently prices in Asia have bumped up a notch a the end of the year. Prices are going up on the next shipment of equipment and/or when the current stock is depleted.

I had a good chat with Matt that was less helpful than I'd have liked. Mostly because of my previous research & advice from this & other threads already covered things. Basically boils down to was I willing to pay for a higher precision machine with better fit & finish as any of them, including the 1236 would have fit most of my needs. Considered the 1236 & 14's for a bit, but decided to go with the higher fit, finish & tolerance of the 1340GT.

Anything I need to snag other than some HSS stock & way oil? Well other than scrounging up a pile of round stock to start messing up & learning on.

There are quite a few members here with the 1340GT. I bought mine 3-phase and put a VFD on it. Then mksj did a bang up control system for the lathe that included power for my rpm display and my Fogbuster. If/when you can afford it, talk to mksj here. He makes some really cool control rigs for these things. :)

I just received Matt's combo lathe tooling and boring bars that all use the same inserts. Wiped everything down and am looking forward to giving them a spin on the lathe (pun intended). I'll give my impressions for anyone interested.

I have a DRO Pros DRO on my lathe and when it matters, can repeat cuts to a couple of tenths (.0001 diameter resolution on the cross slide). This lathe is way more accurate than I am. :)

Find yourself a small bread pan or butter dish to put under the quick change. It will drip. I used to worry about it, but my little pan got squashed in the move and I haven't bothered to replace it yet. I may not, as it's just as easy to grab a blue paper shop towel and give it a quick swipe when I'm shutting it down for the day. And get yourself a couple of good oil cans. I use them to squirt oil into all the ball oilers on the lathe prior to first turning it on.

There are quite a few members here with the 1340GT. I bought mine 3-phase and put a VFD on it. Then mksj did a bang up control system for the lathe that included power for my rpm display and my Fogbuster. If/when you can afford it, talk to mksj here. He makes some really cool control rigs for these things. :)

I just received Matt's combo lathe tooling and boring bars that all use the same inserts. Wiped everything down and am looking forward to giving them a spin on the lathe (pun intended). I'll give my impressions for anyone interested.

I have a DRO Pros DRO on my lathe and when it matters, can repeat cuts to a couple of tenths (.0001 diameter resolution on the cross slide). This lathe is way more accurate than I am. :)

Find yourself a small bread pan or butter dish to put under the quick change. It will drip. I used to worry about it, but my little pan got squashed in the move and I haven't bothered to replace it yet. I may not, as it's just as easy to grab a blue paper shop towel and give it a quick swipe when I'm shutting it down for the day. And get yourself a couple of good oil cans. I use them to squirt oil into all the ball oilers on the lathe prior to first turning it on.

My wife got me an oscilicope for Christmas, so a re-wiring a lathe would be a fun adventure & probably a good excuse to test out the scope. The only obstacle is money, which I'm now short of thanks to a lathe purchase. Interestingly I might be getting a free or cheap VFD from a friend that does commercial HVAC work. That's likley to go to a 2x72 belt grinder build though. Not to mention still needing a 3 phase motor & other parts.

I have an oil can somewhere already. Not sure if it qualifies as good, but should be good enough for now.

I ended up with a 1340GT and a 935TS (also converted to VFD), so I definitely understand the 'short on money' position. :)

It took a bit to get everything I wanted, but I don't regret it. I now have machines that will outlast me.

Look for a quality used machine with comprehensive tooling. Widen your search radius until you find what you're looking for, instead of having a new import shipped from Taiwan.

My relatively recent tool purchases have found that having a new import shipped from Taiwan is a lot easier than driving all over nearby states looking at worn out 'Merican iron. And, if you think that "Taiwan" means cheap crap, you haven't actually looked at a machine from Taiwan then.

...having a new import shipped from Taiwan is a lot easier than driving all over nearby states looking at worn out 'Merican iron...

I have to agree that placing an order over the phone is easiest. And if you don't know what you're doing, driving all over looking at worn out machines would be a waste of time.

Agree with Bill on going with the 1340GT, it is a pleasure to use, just puts a big grin on your face when using it. I would not tear into the wiring, as you can do a simple VFD conversion and use the contactors to switch the VFD inputs. Whole process does not take very long, the primary cost is the VFD and enclosure. I sidestepped that and put my VFD in the headstock cabinet, but most people use a separate VFD cabinet. Probably would have gone that route had I known more at the time, but different options.

Back