[4]

Lost my home and shop, need hobby outlet

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Hi gang,
I’m one of the families that lost everything in the Paradise fire. As of this post, over 6,900 homes are gone.
We are very fortunate and have a place to live.
I have heard of community shops where people can go to work with mills, lathes, forges etc.
Does anyone know of a place I am describing in the Chico or Oroville area?
I lost all my tools and machinery, time will decide our new path. Meanwhile I am going to need an outlet during my time off from work, evenings and weekends.
Thanks to all.
Jeff

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Oh man Jeff- bad enough to lose the house but all the machines too?! Glad you guys are ok at least.
Mark

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
i'm damn sorry to hear that horrible news.
i'm very happy that you are still with us, but very sad that you lost so much.

i'd be happy to Donate a small milling machine and a small lathe and some tooling to get you started again

the offer stands for however long it takes or whenever you are able to house the equipment.

send me a PM at your convenience, or Email me @ ulmadoc@gmail.com

we can start to rebuild your shop. :black eye:

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Glad to hear you are safe. If I lived in the area I'd let you drop by and use my gear.

wlburton

This is shocking news. Please keep us updated.

dlane

Active User
Glad you and your family are out of danger , Not sure where your staying but if I make it thru the nite your welcome to use my equipment if it’s still there.
Fire is expected to jump the lake with 50+ mph winds tonight and I’m on the lake shore.

Technical Ted

That's horrible! Glad you and your family are OK.

Ted

Asm109

Registered
So sorry to hear about your loss. I am glad your family is unhurt.

There is a maker space in Chico but it looks like a cnc wood router is as machine tool as they get.
https://ideafablabs.com/

This looks like a much better fit for your interests.

https://thecuriousforge.org/ It is in Nevada city, further away than ideal but maybe not out of the question.

larry4406

Registered
Watching this on the news has been awful. Glad you are safe and I wish the same for others.

mikey

Active User
Jeff, so sorry for your loss - wow, I don't know if I could even think if that happened to me. Happy you and your family are safe and have a place to stay. Hope the insurance guys step up and help you rebuild.

mikey

Active User
i'm damn sorry to hear that horrible news.
i'm very happy that you are still with us, but very sad that you lost so much.

i'd be happy to Donate a small milling machine and a small lathe and some tooling to get you started again

the offer stands for however long it takes or whenever you are able to house the equipment.

send me a PM at your convenience, or Email me @ ulmadoc@gmail.com

we can start to rebuild your shop. :black eye:
What a generous and amazing offer - Ulma Doc, you are the MAN!!!

BaronJ

Brass
Registered
Hi Guys,
From what has been shown on the news programs here in the UK, it seems that half of CA is on fire. Its terrible to both watch and hear on the forum of people being forced from their homes and loosing everything. Jeff I'm glad you and your family are safe.

Janderso

Theses fire storms are becoming more intense each year.
I predict purchasing home insurance in the near future for wooded areas will be very difficult.
The good news, our trailer did not burn. A friend took this pic for us. He would not take a picture of the lost home.
E6D229D7-CDE6-4477-869A-D5F373DD7BC0.jpeg

bill70j

Theses fire storms are becoming more intense each year.
I predict purchasing home insurance in the near future for wooded areas will be very difficult.
The good news, our trailer did not burn. A friend took this pic for us. He would not take a picture of the lost home.
Jeff: Thanks so much for the update. We have been thinking constantly about you and your family. When the mayor was on CNN this morning, it brought the tragedy into even more focus. I wish you and your family the best in these trying times. Please keep us informed. Regards, Bill

Janderso

Today is a tough day.
I went to work to get a rental for my wife, her car was in the garage, my 2002 F 150 was parked next to the garage.
They are toast.
I am driving my 2017 F-150 thank God!
I have two deliveries From McMaster-Carr. Tooling for my toasted lathe.
I’ll take pictures of what a Bridgeport mill and a South Bend lathe look like after sitting in a garage with a car full fuel tank explodes. I’m curious myself.
They say it may be a month before I can take those pics.
I just bought Mitutoyo precision instruments, they are toast, I just bought a 4” Bison chuck. Tears......sorry John.
We went to Staples to get a few things, I looked around, I don’t have anything anymore.
Enjoy and appreciate every day, you never know what’s around the next corner.
Thanks for your emotional support, and thank you for listening.
This is my outlet, I don’t have any friends.
Jeff

westerner

If you are gonna be stupid, ya gotta be TOUGH!
Damn, Jeff, I am sorry. I can't imagine what that feels like. I, too, live on the edge of the woods, lots of fuel upwind. Been here for 30 years, some fires came close, but nothing on my property. You are living my nightmare! I have nothing but admiration for your mindset at this time. If there is any thing I can do to help, reach out.

bill70j

We are your friends, Jeff. We don 't always say it. We appreciate you, your posts, and your encouragement.

DavidMTL

Registered
Glad you and your family are ok. That's the most important part.

Cross my fingers for you that your BP gets lucky and it's just crispy paint.

ttabbal

I don’t have any friends.
Jeff

Sure you do! We're weird machinist types on the internet, but we're happy to call you a friend!

dlane

Active User
Jeff , woundering if You were told to evacuate and how much time you had to leave
Up to 23 fatalities.

thomas s

Active User
Glad you and your family are ok Jeff.

Ken from ontario

Glad you are with us Jeff. I sincerely hope you'll be made whole again very soon , it's just a matter of time.

Norseman C.B.

Registered
Bummer deal Jeff, glad you and yours got out in one piece it's been like hell down there all summer.........

Janderso

Jeff , woundering if You were told to evacuate and how much time you had to leave
Up to 23 fatalities.
It was a little after 8:00, my wife called and said, “it’s getting really dark and it’s raining debris, hitting the roof, sounds like it’s raining”.
I left immediately from Gridley, I received a text to evacuate on the way home (Gridley to Paradise is 40 minutes).
When I got home, it was dark as night, wind gusts, explosions going off to the East. There was the devil in that direction.
I grabbed a few things my wife had set by the door and we left.
We left her car in the garage, I took my new truck and left my 2002 F-150.
Yes, we received an evacuation notice.
Sheriff Hoenig has his hands full. This fire grew so fast, no one knew what was coming until it was at the doorstep.

Janderso

Glad you and your family are out of danger , Not sure where your staying but if I make it thru the nite your welcome to use my equipment if it’s still there.
Fire is expected to jump the lake with 50+ mph winds tonight and I’m on the lake shore.
What’s happening on your end of this raging inferno d lane?
It seems like the whole County is threatened or on fire.
I sure hope you and yours don’t suffer this nightmare.

dlane

Active User
Made it thru the long night without evacuation, berry creek is evacuated so campers are everywhere around here.
Smoke was bad all nite , it’s clear this morning for now anyhow , I’m in Kelly Ridge down on the lake if this place goes up I’ll be going back to Arkansas ASAP I may anyhow. Had to fight to get somthing to burn in the summer there.

Last edited:

coherent

Registered
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and what folks in your area are going through. Not much else a person can say that is of much help I imagine except our thoughts are with you.

MrWhoopee

Jeff,
I am barely able to control my emotions as we watch the news. What has happened to you has been my continuing nightmare ever since we barely escaped the 2012 Ponderosa fire, which came within 1/2 mile of our home. At least we had plenty of time to prepare and evacuate. I was shell-shocked for weeks and still experience PTSD when I see the convoys of fire trucks or pictures of the fire and devastation on TV. The magnitude of your loss is nearly unimaginable.

I'm about 100 miles away, but my home and shop are at your disposal. If you need assistance of the manual labor sort, I'm available and and fairly capable for my advanced years. Just say the word.

Stay strong. Our prayers are with you.

Craig

Janderso

Ah jeez Craig, I can barely hold my emotions in check.
I am familiar with Shingletown, I bought my Bridgeport there.
You also have beautiful heavy wooded surroundings that love to burn when conditions are ripe.
My wife and I were going over our experience this morning.
PTSD, is real, we are going through all kinds of emotions.
I may just contact you one of these days and ask to use a machine or two. With supervision of course.
Thank you,
Jeff

Winegrower

There aren't words to express how I feel about this. Just wish you the best.

[6]
[5] [7]