Lost my home and shop, need hobby outlet

I used to think that I would like to live up in northern Minnesota where my cabin is, but every time I think about wildfires I decide that I will just have to be happy where I am. It is all woods around my cabin, and a wildfire up there would cause me to lose it. Not so bad loosing a cabin, but I cannot imagine loosing everything.

Im up at, well, early. Couldn’t sleep.
Today I go back to work.
Losing everything sucks. My Dad always said, “I wish you would get out of that fire trap”.
We are out now Pop.
We won’t rebuild, we will begin again, in a different town.

Although me and my family are well out of danger here in England, our hearts go out to the people in Paradise and surrounding area.
Just hope that it will be over soon and you will all manage to restart your lives.
Sue & Brian Hutchings

Very shocked and saddened to see this. Count me in to help you get started up again when you get settled. Please keep us posted.
John

Better day today. Had a decent night sleep, that always helps. I'm back to work to keep me occupied.
We received some money from the insurance company to get us through the next 6 months.
Found some shop space so I don't have to sit in the empty apartment next week.
Bit by bit we will put our lives back together.
Hey, any builders or contractors in this group?
If you knew of a community in Northern California needing to rebuild a few thousand homes one at a time. What would you suggest to these homeless survivors?
This is not a sub division that burned, these are all one-off homes.
Just curious, this is my biggest concern when we decide to rebuild in another town close by. Who will be available to help us build?
Thanks for all your encouragement and kind words.
Jeff

It may not be for everybody, but modular and other prefab housing comes from all over the country, by truck. In snow climates they may be looking for you. Some of it is semi custom, and high quality, or so I hear.

You know Bob, I have thought about that.
My brother is having one delivered to his property in Arizona.
Nice looking home. Plus, I could pour a pad and put my shop next to it.
Buy a lot and order your house.

Bugger. Mate been watching the fires, TV, here in Australia. Horrendous fires. Give us a bell when you are back on your feet. I have a spare "Machinerys Handbook", I will send to you.
Mark Needham

Hi Jeff. I'm glad to hear that you got out OK. That's the most important part. You've been an inspiration to me in regards to exploring rural living locations in California. Please keep us posted on your activities. The construction market is very hot in the Bay Area, and there is little spare capacity. The quality is also kind of poor, which is consistent with the market.

Back